Missing Linux Desktop Marvin Starter Icons

User 25d107bd42

21-06-2012 18:22:46

Hi Marvin developers,

the recent Marvin installers like marvinbeans-5.10.0-linux.sh do not install desktop icons anymore. I do not remember in which version this option is lost. But I have found a workaround:

1) First install an old version, for example marvinbeans-5.5.0.1-linux.sh. Now the icons are in the folder MarvinBeans. Copy these to your desktop and allow these to execute programs.

2) Then install the new version marvinbeans-5.10.0-linux.sh. The folder MarvinBeans is overwritten and the desktop icons now start the new versions.

Best regards, Hans-Ulrich

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

22-06-2012 12:27:27

Which graphical user interface do you have under your Linux system (GNOME or KDE)?

Indeed, current linux installer can not create proper desktop shortcuts. I met this problem in KDE.

We will debug it.

User 25d107bd42

24-06-2012 08:15:35

Hi Tamas,

it seems to me it's independent of the desktop. The example I was discussing here before is on Linux Ubuntu Cinnamon, which is a GNOME derivative.

I have "backspaced" to older versions on my machine here (KDE) and the newest version having the attached window was Marvin 5.5.0.0. All newer versions don't show this window and don't install the icons. I'm using the "workaround" since version 5.5.0.0.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

25-06-2012 14:19:43

You are right.

Meanwhile, I had realised that the desktop icon selector dialog was skipped from the newer installers.

I have fixed this issue.

In next release, desktop icons are installed by default under Linux.

User 25d107bd42

13-08-2012 12:52:38

Hi Tamas,

thank you very much for re-implementing the Marvin desktop launchers.

It works, but the first time I tested it, there were no launchers at all. Why ?

I found the ugly hindrance: On my german Linux system the "Desktop" is now called "Arbeitsfläche", really having the umlaut. So I made a folder "Desktop", the Marvin installer moved the three desktop launchers files MarvinSketch-5.10.2.desktop, etc. to the folder "Arbeitsfläche" and now the launchers are shown and usable as in "former times".

Discussing this ugly situation with our sysadmin he showed the website about the Linux-Freedesktop-Standard:

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs/

He mentioned this desktop standard should be used by all Linux versions, which is a good information.

And for your install procedure it is possible to use the common variables stored in the following file:

$ cat ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

# This file is written by xdg-user-dirs-update

# If you want to change or add directories, just edit the line you're

# interested in. All local changes will be retained on the next run

# Format is XDG_xxx_DIR="$HOME/yyy", where yyy is a shell-escaped

# homedir-relative path, or XDG_xxx_DIR="/yyy", where /yyy is an

# absolute path. No other format is supported.

#

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Arbeitsfläche"

XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Downloads"

XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Vorlagen"

XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Öffentlich"

XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Dokumente"

XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Musik"

XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Bilder"

XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"

This should work for all languages using these translations.

What do you mean ?

BTW: It good to have the Marvin version number in the desktop file name: A fine new developement.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

17-08-2012 17:26:06

Thanks for sharing your experience.

We will check how to solve the localization of the desktop folder is Marvin installer.