Tiny charge symbols

User 25d107bd42

13-06-2012 18:42:51

Hi,

while preparing an image for another post in this forum I found an old problem once more:

The charge symbols are nearly unvisible, especially the negative charge.

Would it be possible to use larger and bold symbols for these two important atom properties ?

Best regards, Hans-Ulrich

ChemAxon f052bdfe3c

13-06-2012 19:20:51

Dear Hans-Ulrich,

We are aware of this problem, to fix it we have to rewrite a major part of the painter code. It has been started, but I cannot even estimate when it will be ready.

Best Regards,

Efi

User 25d107bd42

18-06-2012 08:08:51

Dear Efi, good to read this.

Before your information my view was: charge symbols are simple tiny letters. But now for graphical symbols I have some more suggestions:

Attached there is a copy of a recent publication in which charges play an essential role. And here the chemical meaning and denotation of lines, dots and plus/minus is perfectly realized:

(1) Lines present bonds (as usual).

(2) Dots present electrons. Single dots radicals and double dots electron pairs (this is a really good quality of Marvin, too  !).

(3) Circles with (plus/minus) present formal charges (so the negative charge cannot be confused with bonds or electron pairs, and the positive charge cannot be confused with reaction symbols). And often charges are not really localized, for example in mesomeric systems or as total charges of ions.

I hope we will get these possibilities soon. Especially in teaching it's important to have an explicit clear presentation of chemical formulas.

Best regards, Hans-Ulrich

ChemAxon f052bdfe3c

19-06-2012 14:30:37

Dear Hans-Ulrich,

Thank you for your suggestion and for the example attached. We will keep it on mind during the refactoring.

Best Regards,

Efi