Trouble with MarvinSketch and MarvinView together

User dfb7013c70

27-01-2012 18:40:26

I have MarvinSketch embedded on a web page and a link which causes a second tab/window/popup to open that has MarvinView embedded.  When I click the link the new page opens and MarvinView displays just fine.  If I close the MarvinView page and then click the same link again MarvinView will have difficulty displaying the molecule.  You have to either click in the MarvinView applet to get the molecule to display or click outside your browser and come back to the page to get the molecule to show up.  If you have multiple MarvinView's running sometimes one will show a molecule and others won't...seemingly at random. 

An even simpler case...  Put a MarvinSketch and a MarvinView on the same page.  It loads fine.  Close the tab and then open the page again...MarvinView sometimes does not show the molecule.  The applet seems to fire up fine...it's just blank until you click it or click out of your browser.  The java console shows no errors that I can see.

It also seems to be time dependant...if you close the page, wait a while, and then re-open it you won't have a problem.

The behavior can be seen with very basic html using marvin.js with only begin, mol, and end params for MarvinView using some of the molecules in the marvin deployment and just begin and end params for MarvinSketch.  I've tried giving each applet unique names, tried setting the legacy_lifecycle param to false (which REALLY doesn't help), and tried setting the separate_jvm param to true...no luck.

This happens on Windows7 and Mac OSX 10.6.8 but not on Windows XP.  It happens on all browsers we tested...  IE8, IE9, FF9, Chrome 16 and Safari 5.1.2.  Java 6 update 29.  With Marvin 5.4.1.2 and 5.8.0.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

31-01-2012 16:28:54

Hi,

i think this is some issue in the initialization of the applet.

Currently i am preparing a reproduction environment for the issue, and after i have it, i will try to identify the causes, i will get back to you as soon as i identified a workaround, or can tell more about when and in which version can we release the fix.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Istvan

User dfb7013c70

31-01-2012 16:31:59

Great.  Thanks for taking a look!

User dfb7013c70

24-02-2012 14:59:15

Hi Istvan,

I'm wondering if you have any update on this issue?

Thanks very much,

Seann

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

28-02-2012 12:19:53

Hi Seann,

i am still working on this unfortunatelly, it is hard to identify the root cause a bit.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,
Istvan

User dfb7013c70

28-02-2012 18:25:57

Thanks for the follow-up and good luck!

Seann

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

04-04-2012 10:46:34

Hi Seann,

I did not forget you, but unfortunatelly it was a bit harsh and it had caused me a lots of headache to find out what happens, and then it turned out, I have searched the source of the problem in the wrong place.

On my environment I could not reproduce the issue now, after I have added some modification to the initialization code.

I am sending a patch in e-mail with instructions about how you can apply it to Marvin Applets 5.9.1 and test it, please inform me if the test results are ok, and the problem seem to be solved with this fix. In this case we can apply this fix to the next released version of Applets.

Regards,
Istvan