Any Metal?

User 4caaa3dd84

24-11-2011 11:01:32

Hello together!

I'm still quite confused with the options on how to draw abbreviations...

Could someone please suggest a robust way, to draw a "M", which stands for "some metal" - allowing to draw schemes of coordination compounds - independendly of the used metal?

Thank you,

pheidrias

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

24-11-2011 11:37:34

Hi,

Open Periodic System, Advanced tab, and slect "M", then place it on the atom where you want to have it.

Soon we will introduce a feature that you can simply hit "M" on the keyboard instead.

Best regards,

Akos

User 4caaa3dd84

25-11-2011 10:07:52

Hi Akos!

Thanks for the fast reply!

Is there a way to avoid the italic font of this group?

Wishing a nice end of the week,

pheidrias

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

25-11-2011 11:06:05

Hi,

Unfortunately not, because Marvin uses a pseudoatom for this purpose, and pseudoatoms are displayed in italics (to differentiate from a normal atom label or an alias atom).

Best regards,

Akos

User 870ab5b546

26-11-2011 02:20:43

If your only purpose is to draw pictures, and you don't care about real chemical meaning, then you can use an alias.  Choose Periodic System -> Advanced, press the Alias button toward the bottom, enter M in the textbox underneath it, close the wondow, and click on any existing atom to change it to display the letter M.  If you clicked on, say, a C atom, Marvin will continue to consider it to be a C atom when calculating formulas, etc.  

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

28-11-2011 14:25:46

Thanks Bob for the additional info! Yes, if the structure will not be used in search, then an alias "M" is the best choice. It's display is not italic.

Akos

User 4caaa3dd84

08-12-2011 15:14:10

Works like a charm! Thank you both!

Now one related question: If I want to use these markups (color, italic/non-italic) in a "text formula" - is there an easy way to do so?

E.g., I want to add a byproduct M(OH) (monovalent metal hydroxide) - I could draw it as "M-OH" --> but the "-" is not very intuitive (and may be even considered chemically wrong because of the ionic nature of such a bond)...

Any way to get a - say - Cu(OH) with brown Cu and red OH automatically? Or a H2O red?

Thanks a lot,

pheidrias

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

13-12-2011 16:37:26

Hi,

Again, if you don't care about the chemical meaning, you can use a text box, and color the text as you want. See the attached file. It is not automatic though.

Best regards,

Akos