Problems for run MarvinSketch and InstantJChem for windows 7

User 6cf7cf1a9a

11-11-2011 13:34:51

Hi,

I am Lucas.

I have a problem to run the Marvin Sketch and InstantJChem on my windows 7.

It was first installed JChem, Marvin, and then finally the InstantJChem. The installation seems to have been successful.

However, when I try to start the programs they are carrying for a long time and they do not open.

It may be a compatibility problem with my windows 7.

Thank you, and expect an answer or suggestion.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

22-11-2011 12:45:57

Please give more details about the issue.

Which version of Marvin and Jchem installer have you downloaded?

Anyway, JChem includes a bundled Marvin installer that is launched automatically at the end of the JChem installation process. Unless you need different version of Marvin than JChem, you needless download both JChem and Marvin Beans installer.

Do you have an Java on your machine? If yes, which version you have?

Please check whether following components present on your machine after the installation:

There are several ways to launch Marvin / JChem application:

Which way have you tried to launch the desired application?

User 6cf7cf1a9a

22-11-2011 13:34:13

Tamas wrote:

Please give more details about the issue.

Which version of Marvin and Jchem installer have you downloaded?

Anyway, JChem includes a bundled Marvin installer that is launched automatically at the end of the JChem installation process. Unless you need different version of Marvin than JChem, you needless download both JChem and Marvin Beans installer.

Do you have an Java on your machine? If yes, which version you have?

Please check whether following components present on your machine after the installation:

• MarvinBeans folder (default location is "C:\Program Files\ChemAxon\MarvinBeans" or C:\Program Files (x86)\ChemAxon\MarvinBeans if you prefer 32bit installer on 64bit platform)

• JChem folder (default location is "C:\Program Files\ChemAxon\JChem" or C:\Program Files x86)\ChemAxon\JChem if you prefer 32bit installer on 64bit platform)

• JChem .NET API folder (under the "C:\Program Files\Chemaxon" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\ChemAxon" path, depend on the platform and installer)

• Marvin and JChem application shortcuts on the desktop (unless their setup was switched off manually in the installer wizard)

• Shortcuts for Marvin ahd JChem application in the Start menu (Start / ChemAxon / MarvinBeans and Start/ ChemAxon/ JChem)

There are several ways to launch Marvin / JChem application:

• MarvinSketch.exe, MarvinView.exe, ... from the MarvinBeans or JChem directory

• Via shortcuts of the above exe files

• Batch script for the proper application (e.g.: msketch.bat for MarvinSketch) that is located in the bin folder of the installed package.

• Unix shell script of the application (e.g. msketch for MarvinSketch) that works from Cygwin (Unix shell emulator).

Which way have you tried to launch the desired application?

JChem installed in my machine is version 5.7.0, for windows 64 bit. Java version is 6. InstantJChem installed is version 5.6.0.

The problem occurs when I run the programs and they do not start and stop responding.

Thanks

Lucas

Thanks.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

27-11-2011 21:20:55

Hi Lucas,

i think this information is not really enough for helping you. By the way, sorry for the late answer, Tamas was busy last week, and i missed this topic.

Can you tell which application is not starting, and how do you attempt to launch it?

Would you please try to run the application from a console window? You can do that on Windows if you enter the "cmd" command into Start menu > Run and press enter. After the black console window pops up, you have to navigate into the bin directory of the installation folder of the application, for example with MarvinSketch you should enter the following: 'cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Cheamxon\MarvinBeans\bin" and then enter 'msketch.bat' is there any error message appearing on the console? If you have installed the 64-bit version of Marvin, then the (x86) is not needed in the path. If you are on a linux system, then you can use the console application which is usually a bash shell, or on a Macintosh you also should try to launch msketch from a console window. (This is important to see the error messages if there are any.)

Regards,
Istvan

User 6cf7cf1a9a

29-11-2011 16:32:13

The program still will not start

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

07-12-2011 04:09:39

Hi,

I have tried the configuration you have described, I was not able to reproduce any startup problem with any installed software. I tried to launch all chemaxon product by double clicking on its icon that have been placed to the desctop by the installer. So please provide some more information we have already asked, otherwise we most likely can not help you to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,
Istvan

User e83386654e

19-01-2012 07:27:57

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I also experience similar type of problems.

Have had instantJchem running for a long time on my old machine.

Now, on my new system, installed the lot (marwin beans, jchme for excel, jchem etc not realizing instant jchem more or less have it all already).

Java was set up (64 bit, but i also have 32 bit installed for some other apps) and everything was working nice.

When i install instant jchem it just doesnt start. This is true for both 64 and 32bit versions (running win7 pro 64).

It doesnt complain, it just doesnt start, and no trace of it can be seen in task manager either.

Now I realize im partly to blaim for the unfocused installation but it appears to be hard to correct now once the problem have shown up.

Basically, i tried uninstalling and reinstalling instant jchem numerous times, same with java with no improvment.

As i really dont have anthing important on the system currently id just like to "start over" but aparently just uninstalling wont be enough. 

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Best regards

Andreas

ifajth wrote:

Hi Lucas,

i think this information is not really enough for helping you. By the way, sorry for the late answer, Tamas was busy last week, and i missed this topic.

Can you tell which application is not starting, and how do you attempt to launch it?

Would you please try to run the application from a console window? You can do that on Windows if you enter the "cmd" command into Start menu > Run and press enter. After the black console window pops up, you have to navigate into the bin directory of the installation folder of the application, for example with MarvinSketch you should enter the following: 'cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Cheamxon\MarvinBeans\bin" and then enter 'msketch.bat' is there any error message appearing on the console? If you have installed the 64-bit version of Marvin, then the (x86) is not needed in the path. If you are on a linux system, then you can use the console application which is usually a bash shell, or on a Macintosh you also should try to launch msketch from a console window. (This is important to see the error messages if there are any.)

Regards,
Istvan

User e83386654e

19-01-2012 07:32:17

Regarding instant Jchem

Ive tried starting it from its desktop icon, from CMD but stil same behaviour.

Would it make sense for me to get rid of ALL chemaxxon products totally, and start over?

Thanks

Andreas

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

25-01-2012 10:04:29

Hi Andreas,

i just want to let you know that we are working on this issue, but we still can not reproduce this behaviour. I will let you know any information we have on this as soon as we have information.

Thank you for your patience.

Istvan

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

15-02-2012 20:55:26

Hi Andreas,

I have tried to reproduce this on my environment which is quite the same, i have also tried with a clean windows 7 instal on a 64 bit virtual machine, but no errors have occured.

I have consulted on this with our experts on installers and with the IJC guys also, but we could not find any cause.

So we can suggest to uninstall all chemaxon products, delete the Program Files\Chemaxon, Program Files x86\Chemaxon and USER_HOME\chemaxon diretories, and start over, if it is not enough, you also should try to delete all registry key in your system registry that contains the strings "Chemaxon", "Marvin" and "Jchem".

You should also make sure that you install from our products either the 32bit or the 64 bit version, but not mix them.

I hope one of these technics can help.

Regards,
Istvan