marvinspace applet in Mac OS X 10.7

User ea4b7ec02a

10-10-2011 19:52:48

I've noticed MarvinSpace applet is not working in my website after upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7. So, I've tested examples in chemaxon.com (https://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/examples/applets/space/embed.html) and they didn't work either.

When I load the page, it loads up initially and stays with blank white empty space. On my website, it display menus correctly, but the main display stays in white blank space. And upon refresh of the page, it throws exception (I've attached the error message).

Have you guys notice any problem in Mac OS X 10.7?

Below is my system environments:
- Mac OS X 10.7.2
- above posted example does not work either in Safari 5.1 or Firefox 4
-  Java SE 6 (64-bit; 32-bit also caused problem as well) 1.6.0_26-b03-383

Thanks,
Sunhwan 

ChemAxon eb65a25631

11-10-2011 12:13:02

Hi Sunhwan,

Thanks for the excpetion-log.

It is about MarvinSpace tried to initialize itself for the second time.

Could you attach the java console log of the applet started for the first time?

Thanks and Regards,

András

User ea4b7ec02a

11-10-2011 13:46:09

I've turned up the java console, but nothing interesting..

(see attached file please) The screen is just white blank space, and nothing is turned up. 

ChemAxon eb65a25631

13-10-2011 18:19:32

Hi,

I tried the applet on a 10.6.8.

Apparently, using with Safari 5.1 the applet does not visible indeed.

I tried using Firefox 3.6.8. In this case it worked well.

There were no error in the java console either.

You can try to clear the java and browser cache.

(However, it didn't work in my case.)

I suppose, there is some incompatibility with the html page regarding to newer browser.

Thank you for the report, I investigate it.

Regards,

András

User ea4b7ec02a

13-10-2011 20:42:13

Thanks for your investigation. 

I've tried Firefox 3.6 again (gee, they changes ff's version every three month or something.), but no luck in my end. However, I noticed MarvinSketch applet works fine for every browser I tried. So, I suspect some MarvinSpace specific Java API is not working properly (maybe OpenGL?).

Hope this resolves soon.

Thanks,
Sunhwan 

ChemAxon eb65a25631

18-10-2011 08:36:50

Hi Sunhwan,

Apparently, it seems Apple has changed the plugin architecture of their platform, and it broke the JOGL compatibility in all recent browsers.

Apple intentionally inhibited in-process execution of Java applets, and did not provide a resolution for backward compatibility.

As far as I know , there's still no fix/workaround provided by the JOGL guys for this issue, but they (and Apple, and Oracle) are working it.

However, I may try to find some workaround by using platform specific code but I can't promise anything.

In the mean time, you may try using earlier browser builds, or use Windows (It seems, there is no issue with the latest browsers on Windows).

Regards,

András

User ea4b7ec02a

18-10-2011 13:42:44

Thanks,

I think eariler browser also does not work in Mac OS X 10.7. I guess I'll have to let my Mac users to know it is not compatible for now. 

Do you have any plan to switch out of Java applet and use some of the newer tricks like WebGL? I've seen this MarvinSpace initialization error whenever newer version of Mac OS coms out..

Thanks,
Sunhwan 

ChemAxon eb65a25631

18-10-2011 15:33:58

'I think eariler browser also does not work in Mac OS X 10.7'

You are probably right. I may have situation with 10.6.8 where the old infrastructure still exist, and possibly that's why I managed to use the applet with an older Firefox.

'I'll have to let my Mac users to know...':

The Web Start MarvinSpace application should still work, and it seems the MarvinSpace application can be started from the MarvinSketch applet, though it opens in a different window.

As for the WebGL, unfortunately I'm not aware of any plans involving it.