Contracted group link point

User c29d691f4a

03-10-2011 14:45:49

Hello,

I hope everyone had a great time in San Diego.  I'm sorry I missed the fun!

So, I'm drawing groups and contracting them but I do not like the way they look.  

In Example 1, the link point is at the center of the group rather than at the link atom.  

In Example 2, the subscript interferes with the bond making for a fuzzy picture.  

I'm using JC4XL to make product flyers (example attached) but find I spend more time than I'd like tweaking the structures to minimize these effects.  Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

All the best,
Chris 

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

03-10-2011 16:55:47

Hi Chris,

Yes, San Diego was great! Maybe next time you can join us.

The reason why your abbreviations are not displayed properly is that they are not included in the default abbreviated groups of Marvin, where the leftName (i.e. when abbreviated group label is on the left side) can be defined. You should extend the default.abbrevgroup file with the C3F7 and CO2CH3 groups as described here:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/formats/abbrevgroup-doc.html

An axample for the behaviour of default abbrevgroups having leftName is CO2Me group. Please try it!

Best regards,

Akos

User c29d691f4a

04-10-2011 14:35:50

Howdy Akos,

Thank you very much for the advice.  I found the file you mentioned, opened it with excel and it is read only.  It's not a problem to dance around that but I'd like to know how you would do it?

Much appreciated!

Chris

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

04-10-2011 23:53:37

Hi Chris,

i think we simply use wordpad, or wordpad++ to edit the file, and openoffice is also a good choice to open and edit a tab separated file. I did not tried it with current Excel versions, but as i remember the Excel in Office 2003 did not really understand that format, or at least it was not easy to even import a tab separated file in a proper way into Excel that times, and i never tried to do so after the first complications.

Regards,
Istvan

User c29d691f4a

05-10-2011 15:28:02

Hello,

I added one entry to the file but none of my applications see the additional group.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

User c29d691f4a

13-10-2011 04:14:52

Hi all,

Just checking in on my last post.

I hope all is well.

Thanks,
Chris 

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

14-10-2011 16:12:57

Hi Chris,

sorry for the late answer, i missed your previous question unfortunatelly.

As far as i know, the order of the abbreviated groups in the file is important (it has to be ordered alphabetically by the smiles/smarts string of the structure) i assume this is why your structure does not show up.

It is misleading that this is not mentioned in the documentation, we will fix this either by remove the necessity of ordering the structures, or at least mention this in the documentation.

Regards,
Istvan

User c29d691f4a

14-10-2011 18:58:04

Hello Istvan,

I did as you suggested with no luck.  When I parse the default file with marvin, it sees my group.  Anything else I can try?

Thanks,
Chris 

User c29d691f4a

21-10-2011 17:31:05

Hi again,

From Istvan's post...

"it has to be ordered alphabetically by the smiles/smarts string of the structure"

This isn't the case in the default file, they are alphabetized by the contracted group name.  Either way, it isn't working for me.  Please, I would like to get this function to work.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
Chris

PS - Maybe for the future you could add some way to interface with abbrevgroup files directly as they do contain structures.  It sure would be easy to create a table in IJC or JC4XL and export it as an abbrevgroup file.  

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

25-10-2011 01:43:22

Hi Chris,

first of all, please forgive me for the very late answer, i was a bit overhelmed.

I have to ask a seemingly stupid question, but where your default.abbrevgroup file is located? I think may be that is not the one which is being used to load the abbreviations, and this information may help me to understand what is happening in your environment.

Regards,
Istvan

User c29d691f4a

25-10-2011 16:23:33

C:\Program Files\ChemAxon\JChem\marvin\chemaxon\marvin\templates

Thanks, Istvan.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

27-10-2011 00:20:13

Hi,

I tested a bit around this functionality, and i found that this is not as simple as i knew. So the default.abbrevgroup file is inside a jar file in Marvin, and the classloader prefers this file instead of the file that is in the same path from the classloader point of view but not in a jar file. This seems true also for JC4XL, where we use the .Net version of Marvin that is also based on Java with the help of IKVM.

It seems you have to add the abbrevgroup file path to your marvin.properties file to achive the loading of your custom file.

You have to add somthing like this line into your marvin.properties file under %USER_HOME%\chemaxon directory:

abbrevgroups=c\:\\Program Files\\Chemaxon\\JChem\\marvin\\chemaxon\\marvin\\templates\\default.abbrevgroup

to make it work.

We have a task in our issue tracker to improve the addition of user defined abbreviation groups in our software, but currently this is the way, and as i checked it in the documentation, it is not very well documented, so we are keen on to improve the documentation as a minimum until the improvements are ready, and released.

I hope this will solve the problem in your side.

Regards,
Istvan

User c29d691f4a

27-10-2011 18:29:52

I added as you suggested, no dice.  I attached my marvin.properties file.

Thanks,

Chris

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

28-10-2011 07:46:05

Hi,

that sounds weird. Can you give me all installed Chemaxon Software with version? I'll create a test environment, and i will try to reproduce it there, because it is worked for me, so currently i have no clue.

Regards,
Istvan