minor directory annoyance

User 870ab5b546

31-05-2011 16:21:58

When I choose File -> Open... in MarvinSketch 5.5.0.1, the dialog window opens to the directory of the application.  It should open to the home directory of the user.

When I choose File -> Open... again in the same editing session, the dialog window again opens to the directory of the application.  It should open to the most recently chosen directory.

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

01-06-2011 02:46:27

Hi Bob,

What is your setting on the Save/Load tab of the Edit > Preferences dialog? Currently you can choose from:

- Startup directory

- Last location

- Custom working directory (where you can set a preferred directory)

Akos

User 870ab5b546

01-06-2011 03:51:28

It is set to last location.  But that doesn't seem to be working, as seen by the evidence I presented above.

I set it to custom directory, and it ignored it.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

02-06-2011 16:00:43

Hi Bob,

how do you start the application? From console, or with shortcut icon from the desktop, or in an other way?

Istvan

User 870ab5b546

02-06-2011 17:48:35

From the Terminal window, as discussed here.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

21-06-2011 13:39:10

Hi Bob,

sorry for answering so late, i had to investigate why some conditions in the code exsits.

When we created the filechooser settings, and the store of the settings, we implemented an exception. When the user starts the sketcher or viewer from command line, marvin uses the directory from which marvin was started, every case, every time, regardless of the settings.

There were complaints against this, and besides this also, in the end we decided to implement this exception. The main argument besides is the following assumption: if a user navigates to a directory in the console, and starts an application from there, s/he mainly wants to use the files from that directory, not from a directory somwhere in the computer. (If the user starts the application from its home directory, then we use the settings, we assume this way of application startup is simple application startup, it just starts from the console.)

As far as i know, when the marvin applications are started with its icons from the desktop or a menu, the settings are applied, and the behaviour of the filechooser dialogs are the same as you expect.

The decision mechanism uses the TERM environment variable on Mac, if TERM is set and the current working directory is not the home directory of the user, we use the starting directory in any case.

Regards,
Istvan