Bug? Undo deletes long history

User daabfa9465

26-05-2011 16:41:59

Hi

I'm not entirely sure this is the right place, but I'll just go ahead.

I'm using MarvinSketch 5.4.0.0

I've been using Marvinsketch quite a lot for drawing mechanisms. When I've been drawing for a while (i'm guessing i do a certain number of actions) and then press undo, it goes back about 20-30 steps in the history. Redo only works for 2-3 steps if I remember correctly. 

So this has cost me a lot of repetition and now I'm afraid to use the undo button.

Is this a bug in the application or is it just my app/my computer, or what? 

- Sara Björk

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

27-05-2011 11:53:38

Hi Sara,

It should not happen: one click on the undo button should go back only one step in the history. Isn't it possible that you initiated 20-30 clicks for whatever reason (your mouse button got stuck or so)?

Please try to use Ctrl+z instead. Does it go back 20-30 steps as well?

Best regards,

Akos

User daabfa9465

27-05-2011 13:19:45

I always use ctrl+z (cmd+z on mac). I've never tried clicking the button so I don't know if it matters which one I use.

It only happens after a certain amount of work and then it happens every time I use undo. When making smaller structures (less work, less actions) the undo button works correctly (going back one step).

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

27-05-2011 16:23:19

I understand, thank you. I know it might be difficult if it does not happen always, but could you send an example please? If not, then at least please give a tip what kind of actions you do when it happens, like you start from this molecule, then add bonds, then run clean 2D, then add explicit Hs, then clean 3D, etc.

Thank you.

Akos

User daabfa9465

27-05-2011 17:03:55

I think this usually happened after I was creating groups and contracting them. After that when I hit undo it goes back to before I made any of the groups. 

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

30-05-2011 12:03:51

Sorry, I still cannot reproduce. I used this page:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin-archive/5.4.0.0/marvin/examples/applets/sketch/embed.html

with this molecule:

CCC(C)C1=C2C=C(C=C(C(CC)CC)C2=CC=C1)C1CCCCC1

and created a superatom sgroup from one substituent group of the napthalene, then contracted it, then repeated it for the second and the third side groups, then started to click on the Undo button: It went back step by step, correctly.

A step by step description on how to reproduce the issue would certainly help...

Best regards,

Akos

User daabfa9465

30-05-2011 12:59:21

I attached the reaction mechanism I was drawing when the problem came up first. I copied some of the structures from another file and edited/drew other.

I was using simple drawing tools, inserting electron flow arrows, using copy/paste a lot (from the same file and other files). During most of the drawing I only had a methyl group where two contracted groups are (DHA and EPA) to add them all at once later. When I started adding those two groups and contracting them, the undo problem started.

If you look at the file I attached you can see how hard it is to write a step-by-step description, since there are a lot of steps. I have no idea in which order or how i drew this. I hope this gives enough examples of what tools and actions I was using before the problem started.

Just to repeat, this is not the only file I've had this problem with. It has happened 3-4 times when I am drawing similar mechanisms.

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

30-05-2011 13:34:50

Hi Sara,

I will try to create the example file you sent from scratch, but it takes time. Investigating your example, what I pointed out at first sight is that you use electron flow arrows, so it might be the source of the issue. We improved the implementation of electron flow arrows in version 5.0, so let me recommend to upgrade.

I will come back with details if I could reproduce the issue in version 5.4.

Best regards,

Akos

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

10-06-2011 04:52:05

I drew the mechanism depicted in your file, and tried to undo several times, but could not reproduce the issue. It would be nice to have a step by step reproduction case.

Best regards,

Akos