unsigning jmarvin.jar file on windows computer

User 873a9ae9d0

18-01-2011 11:08:30

Hi,

I am using Marvin version 5.3.8 on Windows.

I want to avoid the display of the sign key certificate dialog when a marvin applet gets loaded and therefore try to create a unisgned version of jmarvin.jar.

I did unzipped jmarvin.jar to an empty directory, deleted META-INF/CHEMAXON.SF and META-INF/CHEMAXON.RSA and created a new jar via  using jar cf jmarvinunsigned.jar *

In my test html page I do:

<applet CODEBASE="."  ARCHIVE="jmarvin.jar" CODE="chemaxon.marvin.applet.JMSketch" WIDTH=540 HEIGHT=480></applet>

jmarvin.jar is my 'unsigned' jar

When opening the testpage (in IE8) I get the following java error:

security: resource name "chemaxon/marvin/sketch/swing/SketchPanel.class" in file:XXX/sjars/sketch.jar : java.lang.SecurityException: untrusted class package "chemaxon.marvin.util" in class path

XXX is the 'root' folder of all the marvin packages

Does that mean I have to 'unsigned' more jar's (other than jmarvin.jar) to avoid the sign key certificate dialog ?

I have seen an entry to how to create an unsigned jmarvin.jar file in this forum , but the information provided did not help me to finilize my task.

Any help to get the creation of the unsigned jmarvin.jar file on windows working is highly appreciated.

regards

Hans-Juergen

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

18-01-2011 14:11:15

Please provide more information about your system environment:

- Windows version

- Java Plugin version

User 873a9ae9d0

18-01-2011 14:23:26

I use Windows XP Professional SP3 and Java Plug-In 2 version 6.0.230.5

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

18-01-2011 17:20:57

We are checking it.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

19-01-2011 21:41:17

I have checked code of JMSketch. Unfortunately, the init process of the applet includes certain operations that requires secure content. If applet is not signed, applet initalization will fail because of missing rights.

Because of security reason, Java let only limited rights for non-signed applets. 

Why would you need the unsigned version of the applet? If you run non-signed applets, accessing of local resources are restricted (e.g.:open/save files, copy/paste to/from the clipboard).

User 873a9ae9d0

19-01-2011 22:22:28

Hi Tamas,

I need the unsigned applet, since the display of the signature dialog cause crashes of Safari on Macintosh in my Silverlight application. So far I couldn't figure out why that happens. This does not happen if I just open a html page with the embedded applet, it must be somehow specific for loading signed applets in a Silverlight application on Safari/Mac.

My hope was that with getting a unsigned version of the applet I can get rid of this problem.

Question: I have seen some posts in the forum about unsigning Marvin (it even seems to exists a script [for Linux] for unsigning the Marvin applet). Therefore I thoughts that others somehow did succeed in unsigning the Marvin applet. Is that true or did none of those posts finally worked (and the script fails as well). If there are cases where unsigning worked- How was it accomplished ?

Final question: Is there any chance to unsign the applet  ?

Best regards

Hans-Juergen

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

24-01-2011 14:08:46

Does the reported Silverlight issue appear with other signed applets too?

Can you provide more details about it?

We do not plan to support unsigned applet in the future. There are several Marvin features that can not be implemented in non-secure content. In past years, there were not any user request about unsigned applet.

If all signing info are removed from jar files and "Trusted-Library" attribute are removed from the MANIFEST files, you can get unsigned jars. But as I described in my previous post, current Marvin can not run in unsigned content. 

User 873a9ae9d0

24-01-2011 15:09:44

Hi Tamas,

understood !

Yes, the signature of other signed applets also cause problems in Silverlight (only on 32-Bit Mac OS and Safari browsers).

I can certainly understand your concerns about unsigned applets and IT departements feel (a bit) better if signed applets are used. Sometimes they might even demand it.

I guess I have to live with the Safari problem and hope that Microsoft will provide a fix soon.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback.

Best regards

Hans-Juergen