Marvin sketch displaying odd pentane drawing behavior

User 83c8dbce58

09-12-2010 17:05:48

We just updated to the latest version of MarvinSketch, as deployed on the SureChem Portal (www.surechem.org). been able to join different ring templates together. I tried to draw an indoline structure, but was had great difficulty joining the cyclopentane to the benzene ring. Only one attachment point is highlighted by a pink circle - normally both attachment points are highlighted, and although the rings don't usually align neatly before they are completely connected, they still connect.It seems like this may be an issue with the cyclopentane ring, as joining two benzene rings is fairly straightforward. One can eventually get the two rings to join, but only by dragging the cyclopentane nearly into the middle of the benzene ring and moving the cursor around until it shows up as being aligned.

This is far more difficult to do than in previous versions, to the point where I found it almost unusable.

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

09-12-2010 23:07:01

Hi Nicko,

Two tricks I can suggest:

- After selecting the cyclopentane template, click on the bond of benezene where you want to attach it to: The cyclopentane ring is immediately merged.

- When one corner is highlighted to be merged, then click and hold down the button, and rotate the cyclohexane ring until the other atom is highlighted for merge as well. Use the SHIFT button during the rotation to make it smooth (i.e. to avoid the 15 degrees steps).

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Akos