Problem with custom amino acids

User ee508a317e

26-11-2010 09:43:55

Hello,

Please can anyone tell me whether there is a way to turn off the automatic addition of an OH group to the C-terminal amino acid when a custom amino acid is added to the custom dictionary?

I am adding Alanine C-amide as a custom amino acid and the result is a 5-valent acyl Carbon as seen in the attached image.

Since I have defined it as a custom amino acid then maybe you can only define acids? If so can someone tell me how I can programmatically add an amide of an amino acid?

Thank you.

Tim Mowlem

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

26-11-2010 12:49:31

Hi,

Please describe how you extended the template library with the modified aminoacid; I mean did you modified an original record in an existing template file, or added a new record to an original template file, or created a new template file by your own?

Thank you and best regards,

Akos

User ee508a317e

26-11-2010 14:33:47

Hello Akos,

I added entries to the file <userhome>/.chemaxon/custom_aminoacids.dict

Example:

X(AmN) X(AmN) [NH2][CX4](=O)[CH2][C@H]([NX3])C(=O)[NH2] 6 7

You can see I have added [NH2] to the end.

This procedure is described in the help page for the peptide file format at URL:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/formats/seq-doc.html

Thanks.

Tim Mowlem

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

30-11-2010 12:51:11

Hi Tim,

Marvin expects amino acid entries in the custom_aminoacids.dict file, and therefore automatically adds an OH to the second attachment point.

Best regards,

Akos

User ee508a317e

30-11-2010 17:05:35

Hi Akos,

Okay I guess this is bending it a bit too far.

Thanks,

Tim

User 977b9b7513

17-02-2011 11:11:18

Can you suggest the simplest way to achieve the same end in that case i.e programmatically via the marvin api?

If we build up a chemical structure in the "peptide" format and have marvin infer the full chemical structure (i.e we have a "Molecule" Object), we want the C-terminal position to be an "amide" rather than an amino acid sometimes .

One approach would be to post-process the structure once marvin has inferred the full chemical structure from a "peptide" and turn the C-terminal OH --> NH2 programmatically via the API. Any pointers / example code would be appreciated.

I have a work-around for now which is un-elegant, but would welcome suggestions as to the best approach to take.

We have a marvin licence - is this the best way to receive support? The answer may well be of interest to other marvin users.

many thanks

ChemAxon e500b51457

22-02-2011 11:52:16

Hello,

We are sorry for the late answer. Please find the attached example code to turn the C-terminal OH --> NH2 via API.

Best regards,

Erika