Changing Default Sketcher Tool / Button

User 44bb556150

19-10-2010 22:09:51

I've been using MarvinSketch to overall good effect to allow users to submit curved arrow mechanism diagrams.  Furthermore, I've been able to use the menuconfig option as described in

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/developer/sketchman.htm

to provide a custom toolbar with the electron flow drawing tools on the left (see example below):

http://cdb.ics.uci.edu/cgibin/tutorial/MechanismExplorerWeb.psp?PreloadReaction=True&reaction_synthesis_id=85

One extra little enhancement that would help is if I could make the arrow drawing tool the default button when the sketcher loads.  When the sketcher loads up now, it always defaults initially to the bond drawing tool.  However, for the purposes above, 99/100 times the only thing the user wants to do is draw arrows, so it would save a step and some confusion if the arrow drawing tool could be the default initial selection.  I have not been able to figure out in the existing documentation how to do this, or whether it is even possible in the current implementation.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

28-10-2010 00:22:52

Hi,

sorry for the very late answer, it have taken some time to review our possibilities on this feature.

Unfortunatelly we are not able to implement it quickly, so currently i can tell the followings: you can not set the default tool to one of the available tools freely, but you have the possibility to setup marvin so it will not show the bond tool (the bond on the mouse cursor). It is a bit more intuitive for the users in this case that they have to choose the arrow tool before they trying to draw an arrow, as i think.

You can do this with the bondDraggedAlong parameter of marvin.

Is this parameter suitable for your needs, or we should consider to implement such a parameter in one of the future versions?

Regards,
Istvan

User 44bb556150

28-10-2010 18:57:10

Thank you for the reply.  I tried the bondDraggedAlong parameter, which may make some difference.  However, I believe the process would still be simpler and smoother for the users if alternative buttons / tools can be made the default selection in a future version of MarvinSketch.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

04-11-2010 12:33:40

Hi,

i agreee, i added this request to our list. We will consider to include this feature in one of the next releases.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Istvan