Superatom Abbreviation

User d5bb0ea583

14-07-2010 13:40:23

I would like to use an abbreviation for a group.  What I would like to do is simply select a carbon atom and then type in a new name (for example, Ph or in my case HA), but that does not seem to be the method.  I have read the userguide on superatom abbreviation, but cannot get that to do what I want either.  What is the sequence of steps to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Steve Kennedy

ChemAxon e500b51457

16-07-2010 19:17:23

Hello,

To create an abbreviated group please click the Create Group button in the
toolbar then select parts of the group, a carbon atom in your case. Upon releasing the mouse
button, the Group dialog window pops up (this dialog window may be
opened from the Structure > Group submenu as well for a selected structure). Name the group in
the dialog window.

You can find more information in the Marvin Sketch User's Guide:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/sketch/sketch-basic.html#howto-draw.sgroups

Regards,

Erika

User d5bb0ea583

16-07-2010 19:46:45

Those are the instructions from the User's guide which I followed.  

The carbon atom does not display 'HA' as the atom name.  If you mouse over the atom you see square brackets with HA as the subscript.  That is all.  Why is one required to choose a bracket style (I don't want to see brackets)?  I want the carbon atom I've selected to display HA as the name (right now it does not show C either).  Do I need to make this atom 'visible'?  I don't want to make all C atom's visible.

Does this description make sense?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

User d5bb0ea583

16-07-2010 19:52:40

I found a way to make this work.  I added the supergroup as a template.  If I select that and click in the document it places 'HA' on the document.  I can now draw bonds to this and it displays HA, as I want.

This seems to be a strange way to do this and I suspect there is another approach, but I can't get this to work using the 'standard' approach in the guide.

Steve

ChemAxon e500b51457

16-07-2010 19:59:07

The default state of the abbreviated group is expanded after creation. The only thing you need to do after creation is to go over the carbon atom and choose "Contract group" from the local menu to display the abbreviation instead of the carbon atom.

Regards,

Erika.

User d5bb0ea583

16-07-2010 20:01:11

Found another approach.  Bring up the periodic table and the 'advanced' tab.  Click on 'Alias' and type in HA as the name.  Now click on an atom and it's name is changed to HA.  I know the 'atom properties' do not change, but this is pretty close to what I want to do.

If this makes it clear what I wanted to do then I'd welcome any comments on a superior approach.

Steve

User d5bb0ea583

16-07-2010 20:02:30

Erika wrote:

The default state of the abbreviated group is expanded after creation. The only thing you need to do after creation is to go over the carbon atom and choose "Contract group" from the local menu to display the abbreviation instead of the carbon atom.

Regards,

Erika.

Thanks!  I will give that a try.

Steve

User 870ab5b546

18-08-2010 02:09:32

Most versions of Marvin have a file called chemaxon/marvin/templates/default.abbrevgroup which contains all the shortcut groups.  You can modify this file directly if you want to add a shortcut group.

You can also create your own shortcut group file and use the following Marvin Javascript library command to have Marvin load it:

msketch_param('abbrevgroups','/nosession/marvin/chemaxon/marvin/templates/myAbbrevgroups');

Both of these solutions apply to Marvin delivered through a Web page.  I don't know if it's possible to do the same with desktop Marvin.