Slow page close

User 3d7989d1a7

25-05-2010 21:06:49

Why is it that a web page containing a Sketcher applet takes between 5 and 10 seconds to close on my MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.3 and latest java updates.  I keep thinking it is about to crash, and then it closes.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

26-05-2010 15:19:35

Have you got any error message on the (Java) console?

Do you use Safari browser?

User 3d7989d1a7

26-05-2010 23:26:47

In answer to your comment above:  yes I use Safari and that seems to be the issue. It occurs with Shirra as well.  But not with Camino, Seamonkey.   I am having issues with FireFox which I need to explore further.  No information in the java console.

Now another question.  I want to customize the appearance of the applet.  I am using the Marvin appearance, with the elements down the right side.  However, I do not want all of them.   I have used the following parameter specification:

msketch_param("elements","H,C-F,Cl,Br");

Unfortunately, although that deactivates the S and the P, it does not remove them.   I want only the elements I specify to even appear.  Likewise, I do not want to have the periodic table icon, and I do not want most of the icons on the left side, or most of the rings at the bottom. I also would like the wedge up and down to be separate icons.   I know it can be done, but IO am having treouble finding the documentation.

Can you point me to a document that tells me how to generate the appearance I am looking for?  The examples do not seem to point in that direction. And is there a complete downloadable documentation package.

User 3d7989d1a7

27-05-2010 14:17:52

I am making progress.  I have found the Customize in the view menu.  I think I now have to save this as a template?  I also have a problem that some of my new drawing icons are not active.

User 3d7989d1a7

27-05-2010 16:19:07

pbays wrote:

I am making progress.  I have found the Customize in the view menu.  I think I now have to save this as a template?  I also have a problem that some of my new drawing icons are not active.

And, after mucking around with the menu and toolbars, I do not know how to get the default settings back:-(  Where is my new GUI template being stored. I thought it was in /user/.chemaxon/mytemplates.  However, if I remove that, it is simply regenerated with the same new template in it.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

27-05-2010 17:52:41

Why is it that a web page containing a Sketcher applet takes between 5 and 10 seconds to close on my MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.3 and latest java updates.  I keep thinking it is about to crash, and then it closes.

Thanks for the bug report.

Indeed, applet blocks closing/leaving of the applet page for about 5 seconds in Safari under OS X 10.6.

It seems that the legacy_lifcycle JVM parameter does not work properly under this platform. If this option is active, Java uses the same JVM for all applets and tries to recycle previously used applet instances as you browse among applet pages.

In this configuration (Safari with OS X 10.6), it seems to be contraproductive: since applet closing was slown down and applet initalization was hanged up sometimes by concurrent usage.

In current release the default value of the legacy_lifecycle parameter (for this platform) is true (active). If you set it to false, it solves the above issues.

I have modified the default value of this parameter in live Marvin applet examples on the ChemAxon site. I have modified marvin.js file on the site.

In next release (5.3.4), this parameter will be disabled in default for this Safari platform to avoid the above problems.

If you do not want to wait for the next release to be able to updated marvin.js file on your web server, you can download it from  our site. Overwrite marvin.js in your marvin applet package with this version:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/marvin.js