Double bond -> single or triple bond

User 870ab5b546

06-05-2005 20:40:46

When the Bond button is selected, the first time you click on a double bond, it changes to a single bond. Each subsequent time you click on a double bond, it changes to a triple bond.

This behavior is annoying. It should be consistent regardless of when the button is pressed. I would rather see the following:

single -> double -> triple -> single

Single-click moves forward one step, double-click moves forward two steps.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

07-05-2005 02:38:52

We will consider your request.

User ef5e605ae6

07-05-2005 06:37:10

It is better to minimize the number of clicks. Single bonds are created at least an order of magnitude more frequently than triple bonds. Hence it is more effective to associate only one click to single bond creation and two clicks for triple bond, than a random number of clicks for anything. Moreover, the current behavior is so consistent and simple that even a blind user could use it (supposing that he has a mute helper who leads his mouse over the bond but cannot tell its order). It is not a good idea to change it also because users are accustomed to it.

User 870ab5b546

07-05-2005 11:48:46

cspeter wrote:
It is better to minimize the number of clicks. Single bonds are created at least an order of magnitude more frequently than triple bonds. Hence it is more effective to associate only one click to single bond creation and two clicks for triple bond, than a random number of clicks for anything. Moreover, the current behavior is so consistent and simple that even a blind user could use it (supposing that he has a mute helper who leads his mouse over the bond but cannot tell its order). It is not a good idea to change it also because users are accustomed to it.
Okay, then do it this way:

Single click on single -> double

Double click on single -> triple

Single click on double/aromatic or triple -> single

Double click on double/aromatic -> triple

Double click on triple -> double

The issue is not which rule applies. The issue is consistency regardless of when the user has last pressed the Bond button.

User ef5e605ae6

07-05-2005 15:42:57

You are right, something is wrong. Originally (Marvin 1.0 to at least 3.0) it worked exactly this way:
Quote:
Single click on double/aromatic or triple -> single
It was messed up sometime between 3.0 and 3.5.5. I will fix it.
Quote:
Double click on double/aromatic -> triple

Double click on triple -> double

The issue is not which rule applies. The issue is consistency regardless of when the user has last pressed the Bond button.
Triple click is needed for triple bond. It is consistent, the rule is the following:

1st click to anything else than single bond -> single bond

2nd click -> double bond

3rd click -> triple bond

User ef5e605ae6

08-05-2005 02:06:57

I fixed it and also implemented half of your fourth rule. Rules:

- First click on single -> double, second click -> triple

- First click on double -> single, second click -> triple

- First click on triple or aromatic -> single, second click -> double, third click -> triple

User 870ab5b546

09-05-2005 14:10:36

cspeter wrote:
I fixed it and also implemented half of your fourth rule. Rules:

- First click on single -> double, second click -> triple

- First click on double -> single, second click -> triple

- First click on triple or aromatic -> single, second click -> double, third click -> triple
I checked the alpha5 version, and it implements the rule I suggested below that you didn't like, i.e., single click on double gives triple.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-05-2005 15:50:39

Quote:
I checked the alpha5 version, and it implements the rule I suggested below that you didn't like, i.e., single click on double gives triple.
I built Marvin 4.0alpha5 Friday evening and Peter modified the code on Sunday.