How to set the OSRA environment variable?

User f3614c6e50

08-02-2010 20:29:57

Hi everyone,

I would like to use OSRA in MarvinSketch. Compiled and installed it from the developer's site on Mac OS X. It works successfully from the Terminal but the "Open Image..." menu entry in MarvinSketch is still greyed out.

From Marvin's User Guide:

"Set the OSRA environment variable as the absolute path of the directory, where OSRA is installed."

Does anybody know how to set the OSRA environment variable? I couldn't find more information about this in the user guides or ChemAxon's homepage.

Thanks and regards,

Alex

ChemAxon 0a9e2a55e1

10-02-2010 09:24:24

Dear Alex,

The environment varibles can be set in a terminal with the

export OSRA=/absolute/path/to/osra

command, but this only works until the terminal is closed, but until then if You run the Marvin executables from that teminal it will see the variable. If You put this line in Your .bashrc or .profile file in Your HOME directory (if you are using bash terminal) it will make the change permanent.

Best Regards,

Peter

User f3614c6e50

10-02-2010 13:54:21

Hi Peter,

That's more or less what I did before submitting the post to the forum. I put

export OSRA=/absolute/path/to/osra

in ~/.bash_profile and verified in Terminal by typing env:

OSRA=/Users/Shared/software/osra-1.3.4/osra

It seems that OSRA is set but still, it's not recognized by Marvin ("File/Open Image..." still greyed out).

Best Regards,

Alex

ChemAxon 909aee4527

18-02-2010 06:53:52

Hi Alex,

my colleague Peter is sick, he will answer as soon as he recovers.

Thanks for your patience.

Judit

ChemAxon 0a9e2a55e1

23-02-2010 15:57:05

Dear Alex,

Sorry for the late answer. I was sick last week. I've checked the problem on many Linux machines, and it seems that in some cases on Linuxes - and maybe Mac - java does not recognize the OSRA environment variable even if it is set, and the menu remains grey. I have found a solution and already testing it, if You have the same problem it will work on Your machine after this bugfix in the next bugfix release - planned to be released at the end of March.

Best Regards,

Peter