How can I copy IUPAC name to a clipboard to be pasted?

User ba033e6d58

15-01-2010 14:56:23

When I am using MarvinSketch, I can successfully use the Tools>Naming menu to generate an IUPAC name in a pop-up window with the structure. However, in that pop-up window, I can't seem to be able to copy the displayed IUPAC name (so that I can paste it into Microsoft Office documents or even display it as text directly below the structure within the original MarvinSketch drawing). The only workaround I could find was to save the pop-up window as a .mrv file where I could eventually get to some text that I could copy elsewhere (but there is still no easy way to display an IUPAC name directly below a structure like ChemDraw does). Is there a trick that I am missing to more directly copy and past IUPAC names? If not, can this be improved in future releases?

Thanks!

ChemAxon 40e8f9506d

15-01-2010 15:31:55

Dear Jean,

it is possible to insert the name below the sketch: go to Insert menu and click IUPAC Name. You can save then the sketch as image (Save as image in the File menu) that contains everything on the canvas, including the name.

The problem of the copying function may lie somewhere in the OS you use. Closing Office and opening it again might help. I ask a colleague to help you with this issue.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

19-01-2010 15:52:01

Hi Jean,

i suspect that you try to copy the IUPAC name textbox from the sketcher, and get an mrv file, or an OLE obejct or image instead of a textual representation of the name onto the clipboard.

To get the name as text after 5.3 release, you can do a copy as name operation with selecting the molecule or part of the molecule, right clicking on the selection and choose copy as, in the dialog which pops up you shold choose Name as the format, and press OK, and the name is being placed to the clipboard as text.

In older versions you should open the source dialog by clicking the Edit menu, and choose the Source... menupoint. After that a dialog pops up with the molecule source. In that dialog you can choose the Name format in the View menu, and copy the name form the dialog. Unfortunatelly this method is working on the whole molecule, and you are unable to copy the name of a part of the molecule.

In addition of these we plan to add a keyboard shortcut for name copy similarly as we have one to copy as smiles, but we will implement this only in one of the following releases of Marvin.

Best regards,
Istvan