Browser plug-in

User 870ab5b546

18-04-2005 17:36:54

Any chance of making MarvinSpace into a browser plug-in so that when the browser points to a .pdb or .mol file or the like, the molecule can be rendered within the browser window, rather than requiring moving between the browser and a stand-alone MarvinSpace app? I'm thinking of the way Chime used to work and the way Adobe Reader works today. Currently, both MarvinSpace and MarvinView require that the Web server deliver the applet along with the content.

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

18-04-2005 19:42:56

Hi Bob,

I guess you need this for Mac OS X. As far as I remember, we checked this issue, but it didn't look easy. (Tomorrow I will discuss the status with Tamas.) It would help if someone could tell us how to do this ;-)

Ferenc

User 870ab5b546

19-04-2005 12:18:30

See http://www.mozilla.org/projects/plugins/.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

20-04-2005 16:06:51

Dear Bob,

Thanks for the link. Since Marvin applications are not native (they run in a Java environment), writing a Mozilla/Netscape plugin for Marvin would be a lot of work. We don't have capacity for this in the near future. (Furthermore, as far as I know a Mozilla/Netscape plugin solution wouldn't work with Safari.)

Tamas

User 870ab5b546

03-06-2005 23:37:33

Tamas wrote:
Dear Bob,

Thanks for the link. Since Marvin applications are not native (they run in a Java environment), writing a Mozilla/Netscape plugin for Marvin would be a lot of work. We don't have capacity for this in the near future. (Furthermore, as far as I know a Mozilla/Netscape plugin solution wouldn't work with Safari.)

Tamas
Actually, I think it would work with Safari. Safari plug-ins follow the Mozilla/Netscape guidelines. Anyway, I could use Netscape if I was looking at sites that I knew had molecules.

But I understand if writing such a plug-in would be too much work. Still, it would be a great boon to the academic community.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

06-06-2005 13:50:50

Since Marvin is not a classical native application (actually Java programs run in a Java Virtual Machine), this makes the problem even more difficult.

Unfortunately, currently we do not have the capacity for this project.

ChemAxon efa1591b5a

06-06-2005 19:10:45

I am not sure about technical difficulties but I do agree with Bob that a plugin could be useful in case of MarvinSpace - perhaps less relevant for MarvinView.

I mean that MarvinSpace can be quite big to download itself and if we consider that it also requires jogl.jar and the related libraries then I think it is worth considering to provide a plugin.

So I will keep this issue on the radar and we'll see how users think about it when MarvinSpace is released.

Miklos