disappearing structures

User 870ab5b546

21-09-2009 20:55:03

In Safari, if I draw a structure in Marvin 5.2.3.1, then move to a different tab, then move back to Marvin, the structure disappears.  It's not a simple undo; I could have spent 30 minutes drawing it, and it disappears.  

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

24-09-2009 15:57:17

Thanks, for reporting this issue. Indeed, the structure disappears when you return to the original tab.

We could reproduce this issue only in Mac OS X Safari. Firefox works fine under this platform.

This problem connects to the applet lifecycle policy of the browser. Different browser manages applets by different ways. We are still checking why Safari does it. We are investigating how to solve this problem.

User 870ab5b546

02-10-2009 17:39:54

Tamas wrote:

Firefox works fine under this platform.

When I go to http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/sketch/index.jsp with Firefox 2.0 or 3.0 for Mac, Marvin takes about 3 seconds to respond to my every action -- drawing a bond, changing an element, changing radical state, etc.  It makes it unusable.

And when I go to the same site with Safari, if I go to Save As..., a new window pops up, but it remains empty, and Safari freezes.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

07-10-2009 12:22:48

And when I go to the same site with Safari, if I
go to Save As..., a new window pops up, but it remains empty, and
Safari freezes.

Yes, we have also encountered this issue. In first view, it seems there is a security issue that may block the displaying of the Save As dialog. But we need more time to debug it.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-10-2009 13:56:16

Since I updated Apple Java on my OS X machine to 1.5.0_20, I can not reproduce anymore the empty Save As Image dialog issue.

Since then, all GUI components and windows display fine in Marvin Applets under Safari.

User 870ab5b546

09-10-2009 14:33:58

I have:

According to Java Preferences, Web browsers use this order to determine which version of the JVM to use for applets and will load the first compatible architecture in the list. 

I still experience the freezing problem when I go to your latest Marvin Web page and draw cyclohexane and choose Save As....

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-10-2009 14:56:04

I have tried the referred example by following your instructions but I have not found any problem.

My settings (in Java Preferences) are similar than yours:

Java Applet Plugin:

J2SE 5.0_20 32-bit
Java SE 1.6.0_15 64-bit
J2SE 1.5.0_20 64-bit
J2SE 1.4.2_22 32-bit

Advanced / Java console:
- Show console

All other settings are set to the default value.

Operating system: Mac OS X 10.5.4

Safari version: 4.0.3 (5531.9)

I recommend to clear the cache. Probably it helps.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-10-2009 15:02:28

Returning to the original problem (disappearing structure): we have debugged the issue.

This issue occurs only in OS X Safari when Marvin splashscreen is enabled. Marvin splashscreen is a little animation by startup to indicates that Marvin loading is in progress.

If you switch it off in your applet example, drawn structure will not be lost by changing browser tab.

We are modifying default settings in marvin.js to switch off splashscreen in OS X Safari. Next release (5.2.6) will include the updated marvin.js.

User 870ab5b546

09-10-2009 15:23:27

Tamas wrote:

Returning to the original problem (disappearing structure): we have debugged the issue.

This issue occurs only in OS X Safari when Marvin splashscreen is enabled. Marvin splashscreen is a little animation by startup to indicates that Marvin loading is in progress.

If you switch it off in your applet example, drawn structure will not be lost by changing browser tab.

How do I turn off the splashscreen in the applet?  Your parameters and events page lists a splashScreenImage parameter, but no way to turn it off.

User 870ab5b546

09-10-2009 15:26:59

Tamas wrote:

I recommend to clear the cache. Probably it helps.

Yes, after emptying the Java cache, Safari no longer freezes when Marvin opens a new popup.   Thanks.  When we upgrade, we will need to alert our students that they may need to empty their Java cache.

I still find that Marvin takes about 3 seconds to respond to every action when I use Firefox.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-10-2009 15:48:33

How do I turn off the splashscreen in the applet?  Your parameters and events page lists a splashScreenImage parameter, but no way to turn it off.

Indeed, it is missing from the documentation. We will complete it.
So use the following statement:

msketch_begin("/marvin",400,400,true);

where the last parameter says that you prefer the old behaviour of the applet where splashscreen is not available.

I have updated the marvin.js file on the site. If you download it, you can refresh it your own copy. In this case, you do not need to modify your applet example because marvin.js turn of splashscreen automatically in OS X Safari.

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/marvin.js

User 870ab5b546

09-10-2009 18:00:51

Thanks, that works well.  So all our Safari problems appear to be solved now.  The only remaining problem is with Firefox, but it's not one of your recommended browsers, anyway.