atom map disappears when atom type is changed

User 62a37f4796

08-06-2009 16:54:17

I noticed that atom mappings disappear when the atom type is changed in MSketch. Is this deliberate/intentional and can this behavior be changed?

I would like to give students a template with generic (query) atoms mapped in a particular order. Students are then expected to solve a problem by assigning atom types to the various atoms.

My initial idea was that I could use atom maps in order to score their homework (in  a separate forum entry we arrived at the conclusion that atom maps should be used to unambiguously solve problems with resonance structures), but if the atom mapping is destroyed in the process, how do I make sure that the given answer corresponds to the formal answer?

ChemAxon e500b51457

11-06-2009 08:41:41

Hello,

Atom maps are removed after changing the atom types on purpose. I suggest that you use attached data instead of atom maps. To attach data to an atom, select the atom and choose Add/Data from local menu. I hope this helps.

Regads,

Erika.

User 62a37f4796

24-06-2009 16:22:52

Erika wrote:

Hello,

Atom maps are removed after changing the atom types on purpose. I suggest that you use attached data instead of atom maps. To attach data to an atom, select the atom and choose Add/Data from local menu. I hope this helps.

Regads,

Erika.

This seems too difficult to ask of students (and too error-prone to get consistent results suitable for grading). Is there a way to disable this behavior? Can it be scripted so it places the original index/label back on the new atom type (as a work-around)?

Thanks.

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

25-06-2009 14:31:29

We do not plan to change the default behaviour, because it would cause serious problems in reactions. On the other hand, we registered this feature request in our system, but presently - due to capacity problems - it has only low priority.

Best regards,

Akos