cis/trans isomers unexpectedly showing in SMILES

User 62a37f4796

04-06-2009 18:14:32

The monomer for Kel-F is 1-chloro,1,2,2-trifluoroethene.

I would expect the SMILES to read FC(F)=C(F)Cl, but I get either F\C(F)=C(/F)Cl or F\C(F)=C(\F)Cl out of MBeans/MSketch depending on what order I attached the halogen atoms.

Do I need to get my tuition back or is there something wrong with the SMILES generator in MBeans?

If my students use the MSketch GUI on the client-side and MBeans spits out F\C(F)=C(/F)Cl or F\C(F)=C(\F)Cl on the server-side, but I'm grading against FC(F)=C(F)Cl, then they'll get it wrong.

I'm using a_bas and u on export.

Is this a known bug? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks.

ChemAxon 25dcd765a3

05-06-2009 09:54:35

Hi,

It shouldn't work like that.

If you just export to plain smiles the local Cis Trans information will be exported, but in case of unique smiles export (with 'smiles:u') the 'q' option is automatically turned on.

See : http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/formats/smiles-doc.html#options

So you should get: FC(F)=C(F)Cl

Are you sure that you export to unique smiles format?

Andras

User 62a37f4796

08-06-2009 12:39:39

volfi wrote:

Hi,

It shouldn't work like that.

If you just export to plain smiles the local Cis Trans information will be exported, but in case of unique smiles export (with 'smiles:u') the 'q' option is automatically turned on.

See : http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/formats/smiles-doc.html#options

So you should get: FC(F)=C(F)Cl

Are you sure that you export to unique smiles format?

Andras

I'll cross-check with our Java programmers what exactly they are exporting, but the point is that there is no cis/trans-isomerism in this molecule, so why is the system implying there is?

ChemAxon 25dcd765a3

09-06-2009 07:23:50

mvanrhee wrote:

I'll cross-check with our Java programmers what exactly they are exporting, but the point is that there is no cis/trans-isomerism in this molecule, so why is the system implying there is?

It has some historical aspect and speed consideration, but thank you for warning us we may change the default behaviour in the next major release.