Java version warning message with latest JRE

User 83c8dbce58

25-02-2009 01:50:31

Hi,

For testing we recently upgraded one of our machines to Java 1.6.11 and now EVERY single time one loads a page with MarvinSketch the following pop-up appears:

The application requires an earlier version of Java. Do you want to continue?

Run Cancel

The required version of Java, 1.6.0-oem, is not the latest and may not contain the latest security updates.

This is likely an issue with Marvin rather than Java, but I'm just wondering if there's anything that can be done about it, or if anyone else has reported this issue.

Also, is Marvin 5.1.4 or 5.1.5 any faster in loading than previous versions? I saw a reference to this in another post, but the Changes log for either version does not mention faster load times for the applet.

Thanks,

Nicko

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

25-02-2009 23:55:38

I run Marvin applets with the same Java Plugin (1.6.0_11) on my Windows machine without any problem.

I assume it can be a configuration problem on your side.

Can you give more details about your machine where this issue occured:

About applet starting performance:

I can not give a quick answer now. I have to consult with my colleagues about it. We will answer this question asap.

User 83c8dbce58

26-02-2009 00:13:15

Hi Tamas,

Here are answers to your questions:

• - os type: Windows Vista Business
  • - version of previous JRE 1.6.2
  • - Can you confirm that both JRE are distributed by Sun? Yes, directly from Sun website
  • - Could you reproduce this problem with online Marvin applet examples (http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/examples/applets)? Yes, all the examples I tried resulted in the pop-up.

I'm not the only person who has experienced this issue. Some SureChem customers at major pharma firms have as well. Some of them were running Java 1.6.6

Regarding the speedup, no need to get back to me regarding 5.1.5 - it's the same speed as 5.1.3 as far as I can tell, based on the loading times I experienced on the ChemAxon site.

Thanks,

Nicko

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

02-03-2009 19:03:34

Thanks for the info, we will check the issue on this platform.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

05-03-2009 14:37:42

It seems to be a general JRE installation issue, not a Marvin specific problem.

It is a configuration problem. After JRE was updated, settings have not been refreshed in the browser.

Uninstalling all previous Java, then install the latest one solves the problem.

See the linking topic on Java forum:

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5357046&tstart=1