setting customizationEnabled causes FF crash

User 62a37f4796

20-01-2009 15:38:25

I'm trying to configure a web-enabled/embedded JMSketch so the end-user (a student) can't change the display configuration.

If I'm reading the docs correctly, msketch_param("customizationEnabled", "false") should take care of (part of) that.

However, as soon as I include this specific tag my browser crashes. This is entirely reproducible with just this tag on FF 3.0.5 and MSketch 5.1.3. I can't seem to reproduce this on IE 7.0.5730.13 or Safari 3.2.1, however.

ChemAxon 909aee4527

21-01-2009 11:46:28

Dear Michiel,

do you use any other parameters when this happens? (In case you use a custom configuration file, this parameter is set to false automatically, i.e. there is no way to change the configuration via the GUI.)

Version 5.1.3 had two instant fixes, did you use any of them, like 5.1.3_2?

On WinXP I couldn't reproduce it, but my colleague being on holiday till Friday will try to reproduce it on Mac as soon as he is back.

Kind regards,

Judit

User 62a37f4796

21-01-2009 14:44:49

Quote:
Dear Michiel,

do you use any other parameters when this happens? (In case you use a custom configuration file, this parameter is set to false automatically, i.e. there is no way to change the configuration via the GUI.)

I am trying to invoke the menuconfig.xml from the Student Exam example (unmodified).

On its own, this seems to work OK.

I have then modified the script block:

msketch_name = "MSketch";

msketch_begin("/marvin/", 300, 200);

msketch_param("scale", 44);

msketch_param("skin","javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel");

msketch_param("detach", "hide, maxscale=44");

msketch_param("undetachByX", "false");

msketch_param("menuconfig", "/examples/applets/sketch/studentexam/menuconfig.xml");

msketch_param("templateToolbarCustomizable", "false");

msketch_param("extraBonds", "coordinate");  

msketch_param("valenceErrorVisible", "false");   

msketch_param("addRemoveHatomsEnabled", "false");

msketch_param("sketchCarbonVisibility", "on");

msketch_param("explicitH", "true");

msketch_param("implicitH", "off");

msketch_param("lonePairsVisible", "true");

msketch_param("lonePairsAutoCalc", "false");

msketch_param("molFormat", "cxsmiles");

msketch_param("mol", "$dat[$a][3]");

msketch_end();

So far, so good.

If I then try to insert:

msketch_param("customizationEnabled", "false");

At which point FF 3.0.5 on WinXP SP3 crashes. IE 7.0 and Safari 3.2.1 on the same system seem to be OK with this.

I am trying to create a standard environment in a wrapper that I can

present to faculty, who are in charge of writing the actual content

(only the "mol" parameter should be set by faculty). I need it to be

robust and relatively safe from tinkering by students, so I want to set

as many explicit options as I can that cannot be readily undone by

students. The main browsers currently in use are FF 2/3, IE 7/8, and

Safari 3. I expect Chrome 1 to come into play, but we only test the

first three codebases. Since FF is the most error-tolerant of the

three, I thought this problem rather strange.
Quote:
Version 5.1.3 had two instant fixes, did you use any of them, like 5.1.3_2?

We are using 5.1.3_2, indeed.
Quote:
On WinXP I couldn't reproduce it, but my colleague being on holiday till Friday will try to reproduce it on Mac as soon as he is back.

Kind regards,

Judit

User 62a37f4796

22-01-2009 14:25:07

Loading the following page now causes the same behavior: http://www.webassign.net/marvin/examples/applets/sketch/chemicalterms2.html

FF 3.0.5 crashes (see attached image)

IE 7.0 load but throws an error (see attached image)

Safari 3.2.1 loads OK, but not all functions seem to be working.

ChemAxon 909aee4527

22-01-2009 15:48:09

Dear Michiel,

the page reports several problems, such as

Code:
Access denied: read user.home property

It seems that the applet on this site is not properly signed, this can cause problems.

Some information on applet signing: http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/developer/applets/signing.html

User 62a37f4796

22-01-2009 15:54:14

Quote:
Dear Michiel,

the page reports several problems, such as

Code:
Access denied: read user.home property

It seems that the applet on this site is not properly signed, this can cause problems.
We have not changed, signed, or unsigned any of the content there. This is the out-of-the-box clean installation demo-page provided by ChemAxon...
Quote:
Some information on applet signing: http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/developer/applets/signing.html

ChemAxon 909aee4527

22-01-2009 16:12:21

Yes, I've also seen it on the screenshots you recently sent.

There must be some technical problem. I'm asking my colleague Tamas if he can help.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

27-01-2009 12:38:45

We have checked your example on the same platform. Our experience is that the applet is stable both in Firefox and in IE. We have not found the trace of any browser crash or any popup error message by the browser.

There is only one problem with your example: if license file is missing, a couple of calculations (that require license) do not give back result.

If you take a look at to the Java Console, you will see warning messages that notifies you about the lack of licenses.

If you complete the license file, these warnings disappear and above calculations will be enabled.

An other warning can be printed to the Java Console: "Access denied: read user.home property". Evaluator drops this warning when its custom configuration file is not available. Its present is optional, normally you do not need it. I admit that the message is misleading. We will change it.