Marvin issues with IE

User 83c8dbce58

17-11-2008 15:52:08

We have a client using our SureChem site (www.surechem.org) who can't load Marvin in her browser (IE6). At first she just got a message saying 'Applet loading' but nothing ever happened after that. I had her updated to the latest JRE (1.6.0). Now she describes the following:

"I enabled Java (Sun) JRE 1.6.0_01 in my browser and restarted and tried again. This time, when I tried to access the chemical searching box, a got a pop-up box which said Java Plug-in Warning - Applet(s) in this HTML page requires a versio of Java different from the one the browser is currently using. In order to run.... a new browser session is required. Clicking Yes keeps opening new windows with the same message and creating more coffee cups in the icon bar. Clicking No gets rid of the popup box, but the message Java plug-in detected - JRE Collision appears in the search box. "

Is there something wrong with our implementation of Marvin? Any ideas why this might be happening? To see what we've done, please visit www.surechem.org and do a few searches.

Thanks,

Nicko

"Nicko Goncharoff" <[email protected]>

14-Nov-2008 17:43

To [email protected]

cc

Subject RE: Question: SureChem structure search

Hi Sara,

Were you able to get the applet running?

Regards,

Nicko

I am trying out SureChem and set up an account. It seems to be fine, except that the chemical structure search box does not load - a message at the bottom of the screen says "loading Java applet", but nothing ever seems to happen. I am using Internet Explorer 6.0 (company standard). If this is a Java issue, please tell me exactly what the settings should be. Thanks.

- Sara Davis, GlaxoSmithKline

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

17-11-2008 22:15:14

Hi Nicko,

As I see, there were two separate problems.

1. IE6 could not load applet from surechem site.

2. Updated Java Plugin does not work properly.

I have tried to reproduce both issues.

Fortunatelly, I have found an ancient machine with IE6.

First time, when I opened surechem site with IE6, applet loading was unsuccessful. I got a ClassNotFoundException on the Java Console (JMSketch.class was not found). Java Plugin was 1.5.0_10.

I got the same result with Firefox on the same machine.

Aften then, I tried it again. By the second or third attempts both IE and Firefox could load the applet. Meanwhile, I could start the applet from the chemaxon site without any problem with the same browsers.

Meanwhile I cleaned Java Plugin cache. After then, applet worked fine also from surechem site. Since then, I can not reproduce ClassNotFoundException error with your applet instance.

I assume it could have been a Java caching problem.

Finally, I've updated my Java to 1.6.0_10 via http://www.java.com/en.

I selected the online installer. After the installation process had completed, I restarted IE (closed all opened IE windows). Update was successful, and applet started with the new Java.

Probably there had been already several Java instances on the client machine when you updated the current one to Java 1.6. I assume that the other Java version caused the conflict in this case.

If I were you, I would uninstall all previous Java before install the new one. But I can imagine that a less patient solution can exist to solve this Java conflict.

I suggest you to review Windows forum about Java update issue.