Marvin won't open

User e51a84023d

05-09-2008 14:39:06

I want to view 3D electrostatic potential maps. Nothing happens if I click the "view in MarvinSpace" box. If I deselct that box, I get a very boring 2D picture of the charges.

When I select "view, Marvin Space" I get an error. Maybe it's the Open GL that I need is not there? the chemaxon page http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/sketch/index.html provide a link for Mspace trouble shooting, except there's no discussion of Open GL.

Using the online tryout works fine.

ChemAxon 909aee4527

08-09-2008 06:53:24

Hello Steven,

can you copy the error message (or a screenshot about it) here?

Thanks,

Judit

User e51a84023d

08-09-2008 12:32:15

Here are some snapshots...(and yes, popup blocker is off)

ChemAxon 909aee4527

08-09-2008 12:56:00

Thank you, these pictures answer many questions.

I suspect this can be an applet signing problem from the provider.

Can you please copy and post the text that appears in the Help > About JVM dialog?

That would allow us to check the exact version, and also gives information whether the applet is signed or not.

Thank you,

Judit

User e51a84023d

08-09-2008 13:03:15

I thought it was in there, but here...

ChemAxon 909aee4527

08-09-2008 13:28:59

Thank you for the picture.

Well, it seems the applet is properly signed.

I could quickly check version 4.1.14, and it works fine: http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin-archive/4_1_14/marvin/examples/applets/example-sketch1.1.html

Perhaps it can be some other security resctriction. I suppose you have accepted the digital signature and trusted the publisher.

Bob, do you have any idea what the problem can be?

Thank you in advance,

Judit

User 870ab5b546

17-09-2008 14:36:16

No, I don't, but I can offer some further insight. I get this error in the Java console:

Code:
apple.awt.EventQueueExceptionHandler Caught Throwable : java.lang.NullPointerException

java.lang.NullPointerException

at chemaxon.marvin.space.GraphicScene.refresh(GraphicScene.java:1676)

at chemaxon.marvin.space.MSpaceEventHandler.mousePressed(MSpaceEventHandler.java:2098)

at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5163)

at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:4963)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3681)

at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3543)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:480)

at jep.MySimpleEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MySimpleEventQueue.java:59)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:184)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:178)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:170)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

at jep.RunnableWrapper.run(RunnableWrapper.java:110)

at jep.RunnableWrapper$WrapperThread.run(RunnableWrapper.java:162)

Nothing goes wrong if I uncheck the Draw in MarvinSpace option. This error occurs on our development server as well as the Pearson server. It occurs in Safari and in Firefox both.

User 870ab5b546

17-09-2008 14:44:26

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit. I followed the instructions in this post and deleted the whole /Users/a_user_name/.chemaxon/lib/jogl_1.1.0-rc2/ directory and all of its contents, and I was able to get MarvinSpace to open for me properly and display the electrostatic map.

This instruction was for Macs. What is the PC equivalent?

User 870ab5b546

17-09-2008 15:03:33

I take it back. I can get it to work when I go to our development server. But when I go to the Pearson server, it doesn't work, even after I delete jogl_1.1.0-rc2 from my own computer again. This error now appears in the Java console:

Code:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

at javax.media.opengl.GLCanvas.<clinit>(GLCanvas.java:63)

at chemaxon.marvin.space.GraphicScene.<init>(GraphicScene.java:205)

at chemaxon.marvin.space.MSpaceEasy.<init>(MSpaceEasy.java:119)

at chemaxon.marvin.space.MSpacePluginDisplay.getMSpaceDialog(MSpacePluginDisplay.java:243)

at chemaxon.marvin.space.MSpacePluginDisplay.getMSpaceDialog(MSpacePluginDisplay.java:213)

at chemaxon.marvin.space.MSpacePluginDisplay.get(MSpacePluginDisplay.java:340)

at chemaxon.marvin.space.MSpacePluginDisplay.callback(MSpacePluginDisplay.java:90)

at chemaxon.marvin.plugin.CalculatorPluginDisplay.a(Unknown Source)

at chemaxon.marvin.plugin.CalculatorPluginDisplay.getResultComponent(Unknown Source)

at chemaxon.marvin.plugin.CalculatorPluginManager.a(Unknown Source)

at chemaxon.marvin.plugin.CalculatorPluginManager.callback(Unknown Source)

at chemaxon.marvin.plugin.PluginManager.callback(Unknown Source)

at chemaxon.marvin.common.swing.MolPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission jogl.verbose read)

at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:269)

at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:401)

at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:524)

at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(SecurityManager.java:1276)

at java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:573)

at com.sun.opengl.impl.Debug$2.run(Debug.java:75)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at com.sun.opengl.impl.Debug.isPropertyDefined(Debug.java:73)

at com.sun.opengl.impl.Debug.<clinit>(Debug.java:52)

... 16 more

I see this is the same error that Steve reported above. Could it have something to do with license keys?

ChemAxon 909aee4527

19-09-2008 07:51:51

Hi Bob,

for me it seems like a signing or other permission issue.

There's no permission to read a Java system environment, see the "caused by" part of the error message. This usually comes when the applet is not signed or the user denies the rights from the applet.

I think it works on our site because of the signing information. Aren't the jar files unsigned or modified on your server perhaps? Maybe a new file was added earlier. Any minor change can destroy it.

Kind regards,

Judit

ChemAxon 909aee4527

19-09-2008 07:53:51

To be more precise the applet seems to be signed but maybe the signer information of the different jar files differ.

User 870ab5b546

19-09-2008 18:28:43

When you say "different jar files", are you talking about the MarvinSketch and MarvinSpace jar files?

What determines the "signer information" of the jar files?

"Any minor change" in *what* can destroy *what*?

What do you suggest we do to fix this problem?

We downloaded a special version of MarvinSketch 4.1.14 that Tamas provided for us that fixed a particular bug. When we put this version of MarvinSketch into production, could it have started clashing with an earlier version of MarvinSpace? Or did the MarvinSketch version that Tamas sent us contain MarvinSpace, making a clash unlikely?

User e51a84023d

23-09-2008 12:44:27

Judit (or anyone else at ChemAxon):

Any joy on this issue? The last post said something about .jar files? I really was hoping to show my organic class some electrostatic potential maps - they'll think it's pretty cool.

Steve

ChemAxon 909aee4527

23-09-2008 12:53:04

Hi Steve,

sorry for the delay, my colleagues are trying to help with this issue.

Any public release should work properly, it has to be something with that special release. I hope Tamas can find the solution.

Judit

ChemAxon 909aee4527

23-09-2008 15:42:20

Bob, Steve,

my colleagues are just setting up an environment to try that special release. It contained MarvinSpace as well, so it should work without a clash.

There can be a problem if you've put that install on the top of a previous one without removing the old install.

Sorry I meant that any minor change in the jar (for exampe adding a new template group or something else) can destroy the signing information of the jar file.

Tamas and Gabor will hopefully tell you more since this technical issue is out of my knowledge I fear.

They say they will finish the environment by tomorrow, I suggest to wait it.

Other than that I'd suggest to reinstall marvin on the Pearson server if that's possible. But please definitely wait our test first.

Apologies again for the late reply.

Kind regards,

Judit

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

23-09-2008 17:35:08

Hi Bob,

I have investigated the issue.

I have checked the special Marvin 4.1.14 patch release that I built for you in April. Indeed, the mentioned initalization error is reproducable with this Marvin version (but only with this one). After some investigation, I have realized that a few jar files (jogl.jar, gluegen-rt.jar, etc) are not signed in this release. Thus, the unsigned jars caused the security exception by MarvinSpace applet.

I have fixed this release package (signed the unsigned jars). I write you in email how to access the fixed version.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

User 870ab5b546

23-09-2008 22:04:21

Thanks for investigating and figuring out the problem, Tamas.