Ability to re-edit a MARVIN structure pasted into Word

User 74ccc510ac

06-06-2008 22:05:36

We are evaluating MARVIN for our Organic Chem classes, and wonder if it is possible to paste a structure back into MARVIN for editing, after it is saved in a Word document. So far, we have been unable to do so, regardless of how we copy and paste it. Suggestions would be appreciated if the function exists.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-06-2008 15:52:07

This feature (copy Marvin object from Word into Marvin) is under development.

We aim to finish it till Marvin 5.1 but I am not sure it will be ready.

User 74ccc510ac

09-06-2008 22:09:08

Tamas wrote:
This feature (copy Marvin object from Word into Marvin) is under development.

We aim to finish it till Marvin 5.1 but I am not sure it will be ready.
Thanks! This will permit our students to use Word Documents as depositories for structures, and they won't necessarily have to track many .mrv or .mol files.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

19-06-2008 11:47:51

Just a couple of notes.

You can edit Marvin object inside Office. Just take a double click on the molecule picture in the Office document. A MarvinSketch window will be displayed with the selected structure to edit. After closing it, the object is refreshed in the document.

Now, I have realized that Marvin object copy works also backward (from Office to Marvin) in the current release (5.0.4).

About known issues, please see the following document:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/marvinoleserver.html

User 74ccc510ac

21-06-2008 21:26:07

Tamas wrote:
Just a couple of notes.

You can edit Marvin object inside Office. Just take a double click on the molecule picture in the Office document. A MarvinSketch window will be displayed with the selected structure to edit. After closing it, the object is refreshed in the document.

Now, I have realized that Marvin object copy works also backward (from Office to Marvin) in the current release (5.0.4).

About known issues, please see the following document:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/marvinoleserver.html
Only problem here is that this works only for Windows. We have 1200 students with Mac laptops who would prefer NOT to have to run Parallels every time they need to deal with Word documents with Marvin structure objects. We will have to wait for the 5.1 release to verify that we can have a full Mac solution. We appreciate your continued work on the issue!

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

23-06-2008 16:21:41

Dear Salvatore,

You have misunderstood something. Both the current and the new embeddable Marvin object solution is requires MS-Windows. (It is an OLE solution that is a Windows technology.) Currently, we have not similar solution for Mac.

We plan to do some similar solution for Mac. The idea is to encode molecule format into the image that is inserteable into Office document and Marvin can retrieve molecule from this image.

But it is still in researching period so I can not estimate when it will be ready.