Image file transparency

User 4ceb4fe234

01-04-2008 11:00:08

Hi everybody,

I'm just looking for the best way to perform a server side image rendering using MarvinBeans 5.0.0.

We convert some molfiles to png using marvin beans and combine them on a single web page. For this issue it would be very nice to generate png files with an encoded alpha channel allowing us to generate transparent images. Is there a way in MarvinBeans to do so? Or do we have to modify the resulting images with a proper image manipulating program?

Thanks in advance

Helge

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

01-04-2008 11:32:39

Dear Helge,

Although the image export API of current Marvin does not accept transparent background, you can save the canvas content with transparent background in the MarvinSketch GUI (File->Save As Image...).

We will complete this lack in image export.

Until then, I suggest you edit non transparent PNG files with a photo editor tool (like Gimp or Photoshop). These programs know select by color function.

In GIMP, click on a background colored pixel of the image in select by color mode to select everything that is painted with the same color. After then, just delete the selected content.

Probably, there are other ways to remove background but I know this solution. I suggest to consult about it with the manual of your photo editor program.

Tamas