MarvinSketch 5.0.2.1 application problems

User 8c0101ce2d

31-03-2008 06:16:43

Most likely I am missing something very basic ...

I have installed Marvin Beans 5.0.2.1 as an

application. (Ubuntu 7.10; Sun Java 1.5.0.13)

There are two problems: the Marvin Sketch window is quite small and cannot be enlarged; OLE mode menu of pasting to clipboard is dim, so I cannot paste structures to Office.

Is it because of incorrect installation or I should get a

license file to unlock these features? Or this just should be that way?

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

31-03-2008 10:38:15

OLE is a Microsoft technology. Marvin supports OLE copy only for Windows platforms.

You can read more about data transfer among Marvin and other application in the following document: Cut/Copy/Paste and Drag & Drop Functionality

I don't know why MarvinSketch displays in small size on your machine. I need more info to be able to help you.

Can you send a snapshot about it? Have you tried to launch it from command line? Is there any error message on the console?

User 8c0101ce2d

31-03-2008 16:06:25

There is an error message on startup MarvinSketch from a command line:

cd: 137: can't cd to /root/ChemAxon/MarvinBeans/~

(logged as a root)

MarvinSketch window contains all features and fully operational including scroll bars. What I expected is to be able to enlarge it. An attempt to do it with a mouse adds just blank unusable area around window (see screenshot). No changes are seen after increasing page size to even A1 format.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

01-04-2008 12:36:36

As I see, you have installed Marvin as administrator (root).

Can you give the exact location of the installed Marvin Beans?

The error message indicates that there may be problem in the directory path.

How you launch MarvinSketch (by icon or by script)?

User 8c0101ce2d

01-04-2008 22:44:07

Yes, this installation was done as a root.

MarvinBeans was installed to:

/root/ChemAxon/MarvinBeans

Icon launcher points to

bin/sh "/root/ChemAxon/MarvinBeans/MarvinSketch"

I start MarvinSketch both ways, clicking on its icon or by typing ./MarvinSketch in its directory as a root or as a user. Results are exactly the same. This is a second installation attempt; the first one was in a user directory. The results were the same.

There are two directories listings below.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

04-04-2008 17:05:28

As I see, you talk about two different problems.

1. Warning message by launching MarvinSketch application.

Code:
cd: 137: can't cd to /root/ChemAxon/MarvinBeans/~

2. Although MarvinSketch display fine, you cannot resize window.

Issue #1: We know about the first issue. The installer tool that generates launchers for the installed Marvin package inserts a wrong statement into the MarvinSketch launcher scripts. The script is generated automatically by a third party tool.

Sooner we will start the evaluation of the new version of this tool where this issue may be already solved.

Although the warning message can be annoying but it has not effect to the behaviour / running of the MarvinSketch application.

If it really disturbs you, modify the line #137 in the MarvinSketch script by deleting the "~" character on the end of the line.

Before (wrong):
Code:
cd "$prg_dir"/~

After (good):
Code:
cd "$prg_dir"/

Issue #2:

To tell the truth, I do not understand why you can not resize the MarvinSketch window. By dragging of any corner of the window and moving the cursor, the frame size is changing as the cursor moves. When I release the mouse, the new size of the frame is committed and the whole frame is repainted. The "maximize" icon works also well.

User 8c0101ce2d

06-04-2008 00:12:40

Ok, in reality this is only issue #2. Here, on this computer, there is NO WAY I can resize the active MarvinSketch window. If I do it conventionally by dragging of a corner or by maximizing a window I have only unusable gray area being added to the right and to the bottom of the MarvinSketch window (see previous screenshot). The MarvinSketch actual window DO NOT CHANGE in size after these operations. Looks like Ubuntu application window size parameters are not being passed to MarvinSketch.

Maybe trouble stem from the fact that this is 64-bit machine and some code just works incorrectly?

User 8c0101ce2d

06-04-2008 00:16:23

Hopefully this second screenshot will show the trouble more clearly

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

07-04-2008 12:39:07

Thanks for the new snapshot. It helped a lot to understand the problem.

Now, I have tested MarvinSketch with my Ubuntu 7.10. I have checked Marvin with JDK 1.5.0_14 and JRE 1.6.0_04.

By 1.5.0_14 version, MarvinSketch panel does not fill the resized frame. It is always painted to the original place (your snapshot demonstrate it well).

Unlike 1.5, Marvin works fine with Java 1.6.

It seems to be a Java 1.5 specific bug.

We will check whether any workaround for it.

Until then, I recommend you to use Java 1.6 instead of 1.5.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-10-2008 07:20:13

I've checked this issue with Java 1.5 and 1.6 for the latest Marvin (5.1.2).

The resizing issue does not appear in this environment.