Suggestion for "light" version of Marvin

User 7b15d0a49a

19-02-2008 10:33:18

Hello,

My colleagues and I have noticed that when Marvin Sketch opens up, both as an applet and as part of a Swing application, it can take a long time to load. This load time seems to have been increased in Marvin 5.0., due to the increased features.

In a lot of our applications, there are parts of the program that we do not need, for example in some of the applets we do not need to launch Marvin Space to view items in 3D.

We would like to suggest a Marvin Lite version which would load quicker and have less of the fetures and functions available, for situations where the applet is being used as a sketch tool for simple structural queries.

If it is already possible to "switch off" elements of the applet or swing Marvin (for example as part of the applet parameters), can you please advise us how this is possible.

Thanks

Paul

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

21-02-2008 13:38:59

We are investigating the bottlenecks involved in the initialization of the sketcher.

We hope we can speed it up significantly.

In addition, we are considering to be able to initialize Marvin in "light" mode.

User 7b15d0a49a

21-02-2008 14:07:06

Thanks for the reply, I await the results with interest!

Paul

User 4e4b708dbd

25-03-2008 18:26:48

After we started testing Marvin 5 we noticed how slow it is on new computers. Often developers have new/good computers. I have seen PCs in labs that have problems with Marvin 4. I am afraid to test Marvin 5 on these machines. I support the idea of the light version. Just look how good is the new applet used on eMolecules. For many applications that is all that is needed.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

27-03-2008 16:39:44

We are working on the performance issue.

There are already some performance improvement in Marvin 5.0.2.

Further, significant speed up can be expected till Marvin 5.1.