Installing Marvin 4.1.13 and 5.0.0 on Windows

User 25d107bd42

23-01-2008 10:38:38

Hi, is it possible to install both Marvin 4.1.13 and 5.0.0 on Windows Me side by side ?

On Linux this is no problem. I have two main folders ChemAxon4 and ChemAxon5 and it works fine. Both use the same .chemaxon folder.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

23-01-2008 14:06:36

In the installer, there are some global settings (like file extension association or desktop shortcuts). If you install two Marvin Beans, the second installer can overwrite the settings of the previous one.

So, please consider which version (4.1.x or 5.0) you would like to use primary. Launch the installer of the preferred version after the rarely used one was installed.

In this case, desktop shortcuts and file associations will point to the preferred version.

Of course, you can also switch off the setting of desktop icons and file associations by check out the proper check boxes during the installation process to avoid overwriting current settings.

If you do not need the special features that the installer provides, you can use the zip archive of Marvin Beans package (marvinbeans-VERSION.zip).

It is not an installer, it is only an archive file that includes all resources for running applications, it does not set any global settings automatically that would influence other Marvin Beans versions on the machine.

Just extract the downloaded zip somewhere and use the batch files in the "marvinbeans\bin" directory to run Marvin applications. It does not set anything. In this case "java.exe" has to be in the PATH (give the "bin" subdirectory of Java home in the PATH system variable). You can read more about it in the installation guide:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/help/applications/installguide.html#other

User 25d107bd42

23-01-2008 18:43:37

Hi Tamas,

thank you for your hints. I will use the second procedure.

Regards, Hans-Ulrich