How to apply .s# and .H# attributes in Marvin?

User 331d7f5c0b

28-11-2007 01:28:45

Hey there,

I notice you recently added the ability to specify substitution count and explicit hydrogen count in Marvin, however I can't figure out how to actually use them from the keyboard. I type .s0 (for example) to bring up the shortcut, but then how do I actually apply it to a carbon atom (say)?

I saw this done at the usergroup meeting this summer but I forget how to do it within Marvin, thanks in advance for your help!

Moses

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

28-11-2007 07:48:44

Hi Moses,

There are three ways to do this:

1. Type .s0, then click on the atom(s) you want to assign it to

2. Select the atom(s) first, then type .s0 (it is important not to have your mouse pointer over any other atom when you type; see point 3)

3. Move your mouse pointer over the corresponding atom, then type .s0 (this way you can assign it only to one atom at the same time, because the s0 tool doesn't remain in hand)

User 331d7f5c0b

28-11-2007 19:15:10

I think I tried all of those previously while trying to troubleshoot, but nonetheless I tried them again to no avail (on both Mac and Windows platforms, although that hopefully shouldn't matter for a Java app).

Perhaps my problem is that I'm not actually selecting the .s0 tool. I type "." then "s" then "0" and nothing seems to happen. Should my cursor change to a small s0 or something? Do I need to press return, or tab or something after I type ".s0" (of course I tried all of those and they don't have any effect either). This is pretty frustrating, I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm missing.

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

29-11-2007 16:55:06

Yes, I understood that you want to set it by typing, and actually all the three cases I mentioned refer to that. When you type "." then "s" then "0", then in csae of 1.) and 2.) the mouse pointer shows s0, which moves together with it then, and you aplly this for other atoms as well. In case of point 3.) it simply assign (s0) to the atom which the mouse pointer is over, but the tool does not remain in hand.

If your Marvin behaves differently, then it is a bug or you have an earlier version... which version of Marvin Sketch do you use?

User 331d7f5c0b

29-11-2007 17:06:34

We're using Marvin 4.1.13. I wonder if there's a problem with how we installed it, it definitely does not change the mouse pointer into an s0.

Moses

ChemAxon 990acf0dec

29-11-2007 18:02:17

Marvin 1.4.13 able to do this, you can try this here:

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin-archive/4.1.13/marvin/index.html

On the other hand, it might be a focus problem: you have to click on the select tool first, then click on the canvas, and start typing only after it. (If you type anything, and nothing appears on the top left corner of the canvas, it means that the focus is not in the canvas window.)

User 331d7f5c0b

29-11-2007 18:37:27

Thanks for your help with this, looks like it's definitely our installation of Marvin that is the problem, because it worked fine on the demo site.

Thanks again,

Moses