Some suggestions

User 012336b3f0

29-10-2004 21:19:43

I think it would be nice to be able to draw more than one reaction arrow into one canvas. This would be very helpful to draw reaction sequences, e.g. for publishing reasons.

Moreover, in my opinion an alignment command is missing. Would be nice if the program could automatically align the reaction arrow and the structures (also for publishing reasons). It´s just neat...

Furthermore, electron-flow arrows and equilibrium arrows are missing.

But else, the program is on a good way to become an excellent tool for chemists.

Thanks... Matti

User 012336b3f0

29-10-2004 21:29:24

It would be also great to be able to move a selected structure with the cursor buttons...

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

30-10-2004 09:37:06

In the upcoming version 4 reaction arrow types (equilibrium arrow also) and electron-flow arrows are supported. (There have been some discussions about this topic in this forum.) You can test these features here:

http://www.chemaxon.com/test/marvin/doc/dev/example-sketch1.1.html

Thanks for the other suggestions. We will consider them.

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

30-10-2004 09:44:05

Actually, one option for drawing reaction sequences is using Insert >> Graphics >> Line for drawing the arrows. You can convert a line to an arrow if you right-click on the line and select Graphics Properties.

User 012336b3f0

31-10-2004 19:32:09

Actually, one option for drawing reaction sequences is using Insert >> Graphics >> Line for drawing the arrows. You can convert a line to an arrow if you right-click on the line and select Graphics Properties.

I tried this, but when I right-click on the line and select "Graphics Properties" I can only change the thickness and the colour of the line. There is no option to convert the line to an arrow... what´s wrong?

Thx...

User 012336b3f0

31-10-2004 20:14:02

Hei.

If you choose the OMe-function from "More">>"Groups" you can´t replace it anymore. I tried for example this

I was drawing a structure containing the -OMe-Group. Then I tried to replace it by -OBn (both times "More">>"Groups"). But the -OMe persists. You can´t even change it back to -CH3.

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

31-10-2004 20:57:49

Abbreviated groups can be replaced and arrow heads can be added to lines in the upcoming version. You can try the beta test version at http://www.chemaxon.com/test/marvin/doc/dev/example-sketch1.1.html

You can download it at http://www.chemaxon.com/test/marvin

(Note that abbreviated groups can also be added by typing their name.)

User 870ab5b546

04-11-2004 14:27:14

Ferenc wrote:
Abbreviated groups can be replaced and arrow heads can be added to lines in the upcoming version.
That's a nice new feature, Ferenc, but it's counterintuitive for the user to draw a line and then convert it to an arrow, when there's a button that lets him draw a reaction arrow already. Surely your excellent team of programmers can find a more intuitive design for the interface?

On the positive side, I find I can hook arrow-lines up directly with rectangles. (It requires that I first draw both rectangles, then draw the line connecting them. A Join function that would unite a line with a rectangle would be nice.) So I can associate specific starting materials and intermediates with specific steps in a reaction scheme. Now, all I need is to be able to associate specific reaction conditions (as defined in Reactor) with specific arrow-lines.

User 870ab5b546

04-11-2004 14:31:09

Here's another suggestion for future versions: select a structure, then option-drag to copy it and move it elsewhere on the canvas. (Not sure what the Windows equivalent would be -- perhaps Alt-drag.)

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

04-11-2004 14:58:30

bobgr wrote:
That's a nice new feature, Ferenc, but it's counterintuitive for the user to draw a line and then convert it to an arrow, when there's a button that lets him draw a reaction arrow already.

I know you would like that and we plan that feature, but it is more work than it looks like. So I cannot promise anything about dates.
bobgr wrote:
Here's another suggestion for future versions: select a structure, then option-drag to copy it and move it elsewhere on the canvas. (Not sure what the Windows equivalent would be -- perhaps Alt-drag.)
Hmmm.... Never have heard about option-drag. I think copy/paste is as good, though a bit more clicks. I don't think Windows users would use this function.

(I wanted to try this with a Mac. I could make this work on the Desktop once, but I couldn't reproduce it.)

User 870ab5b546

04-11-2004 15:01:50

Ferenc wrote:
Hmmm.... Never have heard about option-drag. I think copy/paste is as good, though a bit more clicks. I don't think Windows users would use this function.
The advantages of option-drag are, (1) yes, it is fewer clicks, and (2) you don't have to lose whatever is already on the clipboard.

ChemDraw certainly has option-drag.

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

04-11-2004 15:12:46

bobgr wrote:
The advantages of option-drag are, (1) yes, it is fewer clicks, and (2) you don't have to lose whatever is already on the clipboard.
Why would you loose it with copy/paste?

User 870ab5b546

04-11-2004 15:23:36

Ferenc wrote:
Why would you lose it with copy/paste?
Because when you copy something, it goes on the clipboard, and whatever was already on the clipboard is erased.

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

04-11-2004 17:34:53

Indeed, this also works in Windows: Ctrl-drag

Ok, we will add this feature.

User 870ab5b546

08-11-2004 16:49:56

Ferenc wrote:
bobgr wrote:
That's a nice new feature, Ferenc, but it's counterintuitive for the user to draw a line and then convert it to an arrow, when there's a button that lets him draw a reaction arrow already.

I know you would like that and we plan that feature, but it is more work than it looks like. So I cannot promise anything about dates.
How about just extending the Insert menu? Instead of Insert -> Graphics -> Line/Polyline/Rectangle, have Insert -> Graphics -> Line/Arrow/Fishhook Arrow/Polyline/Rectangle. The user can still go to Graphics Properties to change the nature of the line or arrow if she wants.

Can the Reaction Arrow button be removed from the toolbar, BTW?

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

09-11-2004 14:37:43

We will extend the Insert/Graphics menu with arrow.

To remove reaction arrow from the toolbar, set the "reactionSupport" parameter to false:

In Marvin Applets:

Code:
msketch_param("setReactionSupport",false);

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/doc/dev/sketchman.html#parameters.reactionSupport

In Marvin Beans:

Code:
sketchPane.setReactionSupport(false);

http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/doc/api/chemaxon/marvin/beans/MSketchPane.html#setReactionSupport(boolean)

User 870ab5b546

21-11-2004 00:40:48

Tamas wrote:
We will extend the Insert/Graphics menu with arrow.

It would be best if you could extend it with different kinds of arrows -- regular arrow, resonance arrow, retrosynthetic arrow, equilibrium arrow. At least the regular and resonance arrows should be there.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

22-11-2004 11:18:12

We have implemented an arrow submenu in the "Insert/Graphics" menu.

But it does not contain "Retrosynthetic" and "equilibrium" arrows.

You can find these arrow types in the reaction arrow menu which you can access by pushing and keeping down the reaction button on the toolbar.

The "Insert/Graphics/Arrow" submenu will be available in the next Marvin release.