wiki plugin for marvin sketch?

User d59a1bcca0

09-10-2007 20:43:23

Here at UIUC we use ACE Organic in the beginning organic chemistry course, and the students use Marvin Sketch, most likely version 4.1.5. We are now planning to use the confluence wiki in the course and would like to know if there is a plugin available that would allow a type of drag and drop environment inside the wiki for Marvin Sketch. The confluence wiki has a built-in diagram tool that works in a drag and drop fashion, but it doesn't do chemical structures. Is there any way to integrate Marvin Sketch into such an environment?

Thanks,

Patricia Phillips-Batoma

Dept. of Chemistry

UIUC

pphillip _at_ uiuc.edu

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

10-10-2007 10:18:34

If I understand you correctly, you draw a structure into the sketcher and you would like to drag the structure into the diagram editor to display the molecule image there.

Marvin supports drag and drop among Marvin applications. I don't know that your diagram plug-in accepts drop events from a Java application.

Marvin provides the same DataFlavors (clipboard formats) by drag and drop than by copy.

So, if your plug-in can retrieve data from the sketcher and capable to interpret it, it may work. But I have no experience in wiki plug-ins.

Please see the Marvin documentation about supported format by datatransfer: http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/doc/user/datatransfer.html

User 111f46f5ab

19-10-2007 18:39:11

We are working on a similar problem right now. I want to incorporate Marvin-drawn structures into postings on a forum. We are using phpBB and my code-wizard is going to create the necessary scripts to invoke Marvin as a sketcher to input the structures, and Marvin as a viewer when the forum postings are read.

The basic idea here might also work in a wiki. Marvin can be invoked by HTML or Javascript commands, and you can embed some HTML code into wikitext. I don't know whether the code needed to invoke Marvin will be processed by the wiki software, but it is worth a try.

Phil Hultin

Chemistry, U of Manitoba

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

20-10-2007 10:10:32

Yes, I agree with you, the solution can be the HTML code.

I can imagine two solution.

- Embed a MarvinView applet to display the structure.

- Embed the molecule image.

The problem can be the editing of the source.

In the first case, only the molecule source has to be updated in the applet parameter.

But in the second case, retrieving the molecule source is not possible from the image source. In this case, the molecule source should be stored somehow as meta data in the html. (Probably a javascript variable or a hidden form with the mol source in the html can solve the problem.)

I have no experience in Wiki plugins, so I don't know how should implement a wiki page editor for the above content. Probably, the editor retrieves the structure from a MarvinSketch applet to generate embed html content for wiki output.

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

21-10-2007 00:02:02

HI,

I would be interested in your results (I think we should also bring Marvin to the forum). In general however I think Marvin is quite suitable for wiki/forum work. Depending on your success perhaps you could donate you code to the Contribution forum

Cheers

Alexa

User 20757c93f1

30-06-2010 11:36:32

Hello,

are there any news on the topic how to visualize/store/drag-n-drop/exchange structures between a Confluence Wiki (http://confluence.atlassian.com/) and Marvin (or other ChemAxon applications)?

Is there any plugin for confluence available from ChemAxon that can be used?

Thanks,

Torsten

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

01-07-2010 19:14:52

HI Torsten,

I need to check on this probably I take this offline. I would comment that we would be more likely to be nuilding a  MediaWiki version first. 

I get Medzi to get in touch about this

Cheers/Alex