drawing a reaction with marvin

User b5503df110

27-05-2007 20:07:43

hello all.

I've come across marvin and Jchem and they look realy nice and all but I don't understand why I cna't draw a whole reaction with couple of step with the app. if I had to draw each stage in a new page it won't be so bad but I couldn't draw resonances of a molecule and I can give that away.

also, I couldn't figure how to draw square brackets with the app.

any help?

thanks, yotam

User f359e526a1

28-05-2007 14:01:31

Hello, in the current release you can draw only a single step. Multi-step reactions are under development, will be available in the next major release (4.2)

Square brackets can have different meanings, how do you want to use them? S groups/abbreviated groups are examples for square bracket usage, graphical brackets are also under development currently.

User b5503df110

28-05-2007 14:36:43

I need to draw a resonancing structures. so I have to draw arrows betwin each structure and surround them all with brakets.

is there an alpha version for the next major realse? do you need any tester for it?

thank you

User f359e526a1

29-05-2007 18:26:57

Hello, the alpha version is avaliable from

http://www.chemaxon.com/shared/alpha/marvin/index.html

but it still lacks many features - for example that one that you want to test.

If you are drawing only multi-step reaction (not searching among them) you still can use graphical arrows in the Insert / Graphics / Arrow menu. The brackets should be under the Insert / Brackets menu.

User b5503df110

30-05-2007 09:13:57

I have a a filling I'm missing alot of the fitures of the program (msketch as other parts). the Documentation aren't so clear. is there some sort of a tutorial for begginers? I was looking around abit but I have faild to find one.

For example, I was trying to ad a a Nu-H group to my drawing but couldn't do so.

how come?

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

30-05-2007 12:04:17

There is no online tutorial on the net for beginners (only the general documentation: MarvinSketch User Guide).

There will be training on the User Group Meeting. Althoug it does not focus to Marvin but you can learn a lot about the usage of ChemAxon products: ChemAxon Training Day

User b5503df110

31-05-2007 06:55:03

It's to bad, your documentation aren't that clear and I couldn't understand some of the options.

I don't belive I'll be in any users meeting in the future as I am living in Israel

Thank you

Yotam

User f359e526a1

01-06-2007 10:11:11

Well, Israel is actually quite close ;) What are the topic you are most interested? You do not have to use all the menus/options as many of them are likely useless for your work. Are you generating images only or searching in a database, or something else?

User b5503df110

01-06-2007 12:51:57

I'm in need for application to draw multistage mechanism. Also I use it to search database about subject (the way SciFinder does) and predicting NMR spectrum.

Those are the mane uses but I sometimes use the charge applet or the predict pKa function.

by the way:

where is the convention?

User 870ab5b546

04-06-2007 18:59:18

Even in the current version of Marvin, you can draw the arrows, including resonance arrows, of a multistep mechanism in Marvin by using Insert -> Graphics -> Arrow -> Regular (or Two-headed). Electron-flow arrows (curved arrows) are drawn with Insert -> Electron Flow -> 2 electrons (or 1 electron).

You can use a box (instead of brackets) to surround your resonance structures. Choose Insert -> Graphics -> Rectangle. Or you can draw a bracket manually with the Insert -> Graphics -> Polyline feature. After you draw one bracket, you can copy it, paste it, and flip it horizontally to get its companion, and then you can just copy and paste the pair each time you need them.

User f359e526a1

05-06-2007 06:22:54

Thank you Bob, that is the current way to draw such structures indeed although the structures will not be represented as RxnMolecules.