Viewing molecules using Marvin in a VBA Form

User 0908c5ccdd

26-02-2007 15:52:45

Please could somebody let me know if it is possible to plug in Marvin as an ActiveX control on a VBA form in MS Excel?

If it is possible are there any instructions and examples that you could point me to?

many thanks.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

26-02-2007 21:55:45

The full Marvin Java API is available in .NET through JNBridge: .NET support

I can recommend also to see the related topic about it: Using Marvin bean in ActiveX container

User 0908c5ccdd

27-02-2007 14:23:39

Tamas wrote:
The full Marvin Java API is available in .NET through JNBridge: .NET support

I can recommend also to see the related topic about it: Using Marvin bean in ActiveX container
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I am using Microsoft Excel VBA6 rather than VBA.NET

I need to add the capability to a VBA form for displaying chemistry structures. I would like to do this using an ActiveX object. Would I be able to do this with any of the existing ChemAxon products?

ChemAxon aa7c50abf8

27-02-2007 15:13:19

If VBA6 can talk to COM objects (which I presume it can) then, in theory, you can create a .NET wrapper around the Marvin functionality you need in Excel and expose this wrapper as a COM object using the System.Runtime.InteropServices .NET package. The .NET help extensively discusses .NET - COM interoperability, I've never implemented any such thing though.

Peter

User 0224fcf261

28-02-2007 14:26:25

Ages ago we put Marvin on a VB6 form by creating an ActiveX control, so i know it is possible. I can't remember exactly how we did it (i could probably dig it out though) but seem to remember we used the Sun ActiveX bridge software to create the control. It seemed to work ok as well and we used it quite a bit until we re-wrote the software properly in Java :-)

Alistair

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

28-02-2007 14:34:16

Probably, you talk about the Java 1.3.1 - ActiveX bridge. Sun guys have totally rewritten the ActiveX bridge in the later Java versions.