Newbie needs lots of help!

User fb3a24b4fd

01-10-2006 21:36:35

I'm developing a molecular viewing website and want to embed Marvin Sketch and associated applets on the site.

I've downloaded the full version of marvin and copied the whole directory to my webserver under a directory called "script". I've created a webpage in the root with the following code ...

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1" SRC="script/marvin.js"></script>

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">

<!--

msketch_begin("script", 700, 460);

msketch_param("background", "#aaaaff");

msketch_param("molbg", "#ffffff");

msketch_end();

//-->

</script>

... and Marvin Sketch loads fine - excellent!

My questions are ...

1. Exactly which files from the full download do I actually need to have on the webserver to enable all the functions? Are there any files / directories I can delete?

2. If I create a diagram in the canvas and select View>Open Marvin Space, the header bar says "Marvin Space 1.3.1 DEMO VERSION". I have applied for an academic licence - how do I convert the DEMO VERSION into a full version - i.e. how do I 'register' marvinspace?

3. Again in Marvin Space, there are no menus or popup menus available either. How can I enable menus in this online version of Marvin Space

4. Under tools, there are lots of plugins which I assume I'll get licences for through the academic licence program. When (if) I get them, where do I store them? Do I input them via the Licence Key button on the plugin page or do I upload a .txt file to the web server?

5. I read on another post that the Client needs the licence keys, not the server. Do I have to give all my students copies of the licence keys?

I apologise if you are thinking "What a newbie" but I really could do with some assistance! I've read through loads of stuff and can't find the way.

Looking forward to your replies.

Mark

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

02-10-2006 13:04:53

Quote:
1. Exactly which files from the full download do I actually need to have on the webserver to enable all the functions? Are there any files / directories I can delete?
You need the Marvin binaries package (marvin-bin-VERSION.zip) that includes only the required (binary) resources for running Marvin Applets.
Quote:
2. If I create a diagram in the canvas and select View>Open Marvin Space, the header bar says "Marvin Space 1.3.1 DEMO VERSION". I have applied for an academic licence - how do I convert the DEMO VERSION into a full version - i.e. how do I 'register' marvinspace?

3. Again in Marvin Space, there are no menus or popup menus available either. How can I enable menus in this online version of Marvin Space
I post MarvinSpace questions to MarvinSpace developers. They will answer you.
Quote:
4. Under tools, there are lots of plugins which I assume I'll get licences for through the academic licence program. When (if) I get them, where do I store them? Do I input them via the Licence Key button on the plugin page or do I upload a .txt file to the web server?

5. I read on another post that the Client needs the licence keys, not the server. Do I have to give all my students copies of the licence keys?
I am discussing the license question with sales guys and we will answer for you in email.

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

02-10-2006 13:56:39

HI, Alex here.

In the case of Academic Package (which is the use we are discussing here) we do not license the use of Calculator Plugins on publically accessible websites. We can allow you to generate data for molecules you store but not for 'any' molecule a visitor can draw. Notice that even without keys any user can generate a prediction for each functionality per session before requiring key

If you want this sort of functionality then you should use the public implementation we have at our site here: http://www.chemaxon.com/demosite/marvin/index.html

User fb3a24b4fd

02-10-2006 20:28:20

Thanks for that. Do you grant licences for the calculator plugin for sites which aren't publically accessible? I could embed Marvin inside the user area of my site if that would do the trick. I think I assumed that for licences, the site HAD to be publically accessible - probably got the wrong end of the stick as usual!

Mark

ChemAxon b124dd5f17

02-10-2006 20:40:09

HI Mark,

That's going to cost money! I think the best thing is to direct them across to our site. Do note that you can pre-load the students somewhat but providing the structure and they can copy SMILES (right mouse function) and paste to our page.

User fb3a24b4fd

02-10-2006 20:55:59

Cool - as it's not *vital* that my students have access to the plugins, I'll just disable them from the .properties file / by renaming the xjars folder. Does that sound OK? I mean, I only really want them to be able to draw structures to put in their reports and to be able to export/save the molecule file for offline viewing.

ChemAxon efa1591b5a

02-10-2006 22:14:58

Hi Mark,

regarding MarvinSpace...

2. License keys: you may find this forum topic useful: http://www.chemaxon.com/forum/ftopic1509.html

3. Right button menu is available. If it does not provide the functionality you need, please post your request to the MarvinSpace forum: http://www.chemaxon.com/forum/forum32.html and we will consider to implement it for you.

A fully configurable menu and toolbar system is planned to be developed, that should meet all your expectations in the longer term.

Regards,

Miklos

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

03-10-2006 14:38:42

Quote:
Cool - as it's not *vital* that my students have access to the plugins, I'll just disable them from the .properties file / by renaming the xjars folder. Does that sound OK? I mean, I only really want them to be able to draw structures to put in their reports and to be able to export/save the molecule file for offline viewing.
Instead of deleting/renaming the "xjars" folder, I suggest to remove only the xjars/plugins.properties file to remove the Tools menu from Marvin Applets.