How to remove an automatically inserted H from a P atom?

User ff91065532

08-10-2015 03:12:14

In MarvinSketch, I am trying to try a phosphine bound to a metal center. When I have four explicit bonds drawn to P,  however, MarvinSketch automatically changes P to PH. I do not want that extra hydrogen atom there. Can I disable this "auto-correct" feature or at least somehow manually change the PH back to P?

ChemAxon 5693b0ec15

08-10-2015 09:04:11

Dear Sibo,

unfortunately I cannot reproduce your problem with our current version, MarvinSketch offers 3 explicit hydrogens

for P atom.

However, you can switch off the automatic valence calcutation in Edit<Preferences<Structure   Highlight valence error and the implicit H display in View<Implicit Hydrogen -  Off.

Is there a chance that the valance of your P atom is set to 5?

I hope the above is useful to you.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Nikolett Mihala

User ff91065532

08-10-2015 21:28:57

Is there a chance that the valance of your P atom is set to 5?

Thanks Nikolett! I didn't realize I could click on individual atoms and manually set their valence! I changed the phosphorous atom from valence = Off to valence = 4, and that fixed my problem.

Edit: actually, the above workaround isn't perfect for me. If I don't set any explicit valence, a hydrogen (that I don't want) is added to the phosphorous. If I explicitly set the valence = 4, then a blue "(v4)" shows up, which wouldn't look good for figures. I've attached a screenshot of this situation.