serious issue with copy and paste from marvin sketch 15.8.3

User 7f1dc8dfe3

06-10-2015 17:41:17

Hello,

For a long time I have been able to draw chemical structures in marvin sketch, copy, and past them into other programs like adobe illustrator. This is a very nice way to create images of chemical structures. With this version, when I copy and paste into illustrator, I get garbage of a few of the atom labels and an occasional bond.

This is an example of some structures that were copied from marvin sketch, pasted into illustrator, and exported as a jpg using version 15.8.3.

You can "copy as" something like jpg and paste the jpg into marvin sketch, but the resulting image cannot be edited as a line drawing and the resolution is absurdly poor. This is an example of the same structures created by copy as jpg, past into illustrator, export as jpg.

Finnaly, here is a structure picture that was created by copying out of an older version of marvin sketch, pasting into illustrator, and exporting as a jpg.

I did this relatively quickly, and so the image quality of the third image is not as good as it could be, but still there is no comparison to the first two disasters. Imagine trying to submit one of the first two images in a publication. The third image is fully editable, so the line width, font size and color, etc, can all be changed as needed.

Can someone please explain what has happened here to make what used to be a very nice application in regard to preparing figures into a completely useless waste of hard drive space???

LH

ChemAxon d26931946c

08-10-2015 14:38:52

Hello,

We could not reproduce your issue with image export. Could you send us a video recording of your screen reproducing the issue?

Can you tell us the java version you're using?

BRs

Peter

User 7f1dc8dfe3

08-10-2015 16:44:48

gezapeti wrote:

Hello,

We could not reproduce your issue with image export. Could you send us a video recording of your screen reproducing the issue?

Can you tell us the java version you're using?

BRs

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for the response, I will try to do that later today. I think I have the necessary screen capture software.

I am using java 7.0.510. This machine is running windows XP and so cannot install java beyond version 7. There have been a few other marvin versions that have had similar problems over the years. In most cases, I just remember structures pasted into a drawing program were not line-editable. I never had the issue I am having now where most of the structure is missing.

LH

ChemAxon d26931946c

14-10-2015 14:22:49

Hi,

Please keep in mind  that the Marvin OLE editor works only with Java 1.6. That provides the inline editing functionality. I suggest to use JChem4Office instead.

I've created an XP with java version 1.7 and installed the our latest release on it. I still could not reproduce your issues.

Could you try to upgrade your Marvin version?

Best regards

Peter