why does marvin complete lack the ability to format printing

User 7f1dc8dfe3

05-08-2015 20:57:34

Hello,

One of the most frustrating aspects of Marvin view is the inability to format output to a printer. When I print all compounds to pdf, I get an idiotic looking portrait view pdf where all of my columns are about 1/2" wide and you can't see anything at all. This is despite the fact that in Marvin, I have sized the cells to be able to see the contents correctly. There is no way to tell Marvin to save to a landscape view when saving to a pdf. There doesn't appear to be any way to format the print output at all.

If I save just the visible structures, I get an equally ridiculous looking pdf that looks like a screen shot of the visible structures in Marvin, but the picture is only about 1.5" x 1" for the entire screen shot of 5 compounds.

If I try to actually print to a printer, I just get a message that says the print job failed because the printer won't accept it.

Why even bother to have a print function if you can't use it to view the structures in any reasonable way?

I have included the two pdf documents as attachments.

LH

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

07-08-2015 10:16:07

HI,

unfortunatelly you are right, there are a lot of functionality that lack from printing in MarvinView, but we dropped the focus from MarvinView as a multi structure viewer, and its priority is still low, because we have a lot of improvements to implement in MarvinSketch, and the functionality of MarvinView is extended and provided also via Instant JChem, and JChem for Office.

I suggest to try those out, because however we have a ticket about the printing in MarvinView, that contains also these concerns, but at the moment I would say it will not be implemented in the forseeable future.

Regards,
IstvanĀ