Java under Chrome

User 341f5fbe10

07-05-2015 08:56:45

At present (but not stated on java.com) you can enable NPAPI plugins such as java by entering chrome://flags/#enable-npapi in the address bar and then enabling NPAPI before restarting chrome.

NPAPI support in Chrome is apparently due to cease completely later this year.  Does any-one know if this is still true or if there are good/adequate alternative java plugins which do not require NPAPI?

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

07-05-2015 13:11:04

Hi,

as of Chrome version 42 the NPAPI support is turned off, and Google decided to remove it completely from version 45.

I did not heard about any effort from Oracle to write a PPAPI plugin which is the only supported API for plugins in Chrome. There are a lot of forums dealing with this question, but I did not see any newal from Oracle about writing a PPAPI based Java plugin for Chrome.

Chrome and Oracle also suggest to use other browsers for Java applets.

As a workaround I can suggest this Chrome extension, it is utilizing the IE browser component to render web pages in Chrome tabs, and IE will run the applet inside Chrome, as I understood from a suggestion in a Quora answer.

Regards,
Istvan 

User 341f5fbe10

07-05-2015 16:57:35

Thanks