Viewing problems; numbers and file menus being blocked

User e3f03c303b

20-02-2015 03:42:09

Hi, 

I've noticed in MarvinSketch (seems to be an issue that doesn't resolve with using different versions of the software, as I frequently update the software, like once a week or so I do) that file menus and numbers are blocked by what appears to be whitespace. For example see this screenshot: (not sure if my attachment has, well attached, so see http://i.imgur.com/YhQ8bfX.png if it hasn't)

Can somebody please help me with this problem? By the way it seems to occur with the free Java-based program, Jmol, too if it is relevant. 

ChemAxon d26931946c

20-02-2015 09:59:20

Hi,

Unfortunately, this seems to be a bug in the JRE, so there is not much we can do about it. I could find a bug report which described errors like you experiencing in the JRE bug tracker: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8039444

They suggest a workaround: "The workaround for this bug is to start an application with -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false command line parameter."

You can find a description of how to create a shortcut with custom parameters here.

It seem to me that the issue only appears with Intel video cards, so upgrading the drivers on your computer may help too.

The next Java version 8u40 will contain the fix of this, it will arrive in April, 2015. You may download and test the early access version of it here. It's not a stable release, but contains this fix.

We could not reproduce this on any of our machines though, so I'm not sure which one of the above will help.

Best regards,

Peter

User e3f03c303b

20-02-2015 11:59:12

I downloaded the Java update you showed, installed it, and while it solved the problem with Jmol it didn't work for MarvinSketch. I also tried adding the proposed solution for this Java bug to my MarvinSketch launcher, with no benefit seen. I even tried updating my MarvinSketch installation. But, what did work for me was installing Marvin + JRE as opposed to the Marvin 64 bit version I was using. 

ChemAxon d26931946c

20-02-2015 12:11:32

The Marvin+JRE pack contains Java version 6u45 and that version is not affected with this issue.

I hope this is an acceptable workaround for you until a fixed Java release.

BRs

Peter