Simple question, but urgent help needed

User cacac81ba2

15-10-2014 09:50:37

Hello ChemAxon,

Using Marvinsketch, I want to write NaCl sodium chloride, but it splits up the sodium chloride to Na^+ and Cl^+. I need it just to write NaCl like it would write HCl, but for some reasons, reactions always get split up whenever I use sodium.

Why is that, and how can I fix it :)?

Thank you!

Yours Sincerely,

Kyrosu

ChemAxon 2c555f5717

15-10-2014 10:15:39

Dear Kyrosu,

I do not clearly understand what you trying to achieve. I have attached an mrv, and image of it. In this molecule I have an NaCl molecule, an Na HCl Sgroup (extracted and contracted), and two atoms (Na and Cl) which I have selected, and (after right click) selected the Merge reactants option. (It is also available in the Structure > Reaction > Merge reactants menu option.)

Which of them do you need? Do you need something else?

Regards:
Balázs 

User cacac81ba2

15-10-2014 10:30:24

bzaicsek wrote:

Dear Kyrosu,

I do not clearly understand what you trying to achieve. I have attached an mrv, and image of it. In this molecule I have an NaCl molecule, an Na HCl Sgroup (extracted and contracted), and two atoms (Na and Cl) which I have selected, and (after right click) selected the Merge reactants option. (It is also available in the Structure > Reaction > Merge reactants menu option.)

Which of them do you need? Do you need something else?

Regards:
Balázs 

Dear Balázs,

I wanted to merge the two reactants Na+ and Cl+, but I do not have such an option when I right click on the atoms. Here, I'll post a screenshot of the options which I have:

Best Regards,

Kyrosu

ChemAxon 2c555f5717

15-10-2014 10:38:38

Dear Kyrosu,

As I can see on your picture, you have forgotten to select the two atoms you wanted to merge.

Regards:
Balázs 

User cacac81ba2

15-10-2014 11:04:48

bzaicsek wrote:

Dear Kyrosu,

As I can see on your picture, you have forgotten to select the two atoms you wanted to merge.

Regards:
Balázs 

Dear Balázs,

I have done as you said, and now I merged the reactants. There is just one issue with Na and HCl being seperated. Also, I would like to apologize for my ignorance. I am a newbie using this program, but Google hasn't helped much, so I believe this is the only place to seek guidance.

Yours Sincerely,

Kyrosu

ChemAxon 2c555f5717

15-10-2014 11:28:42

Dear Kyrosu,

The two atoms are separated, because they have no bond between them. They are separated atoms, and not a molecule. You can draw a bond between them, that would mean a NaCl molecule, and not a Na and a Cl atoms.

If you still don't like that there is a bond between the atoms, you can select the NaCl molecule, and (after right click) select the Group menu option. There you can choose Superatom as an Sgroup type, and write NaCl as the group name. After that you should close the group.

You can find more information about this here.

Regards:
Balázs 

p.s.: Have you downloaded the molecule, I have attached to my first answer? Were there any solution that could fit your idea?

User cacac81ba2

15-10-2014 13:50:56

bzaicsek wrote:

Dear Kyrosu,

The two atoms are separated, because they have no bond between them. They are separated atoms, and not a molecule. You can draw a bond between them, that would mean a NaCl molecule, and not a Na and a Cl atoms.

If you still don't like that there is a bond between the atoms, you can select the NaCl molecule, and (after right click) select the Group menu option. There you can choose Superatom as an Sgroup type, and write NaCl as the group name. After that you should close the group.

You can find more information about this here.

Regards:
Balázs 

p.s.: Have you downloaded the molecule, I have attached to my first answer? Were there any solution that could fit your idea?

Dear Balázs,

I thank you for your support and help in my journey of simplicity. I feel kind of silly having to ask for help, as it is pretty self-explanatory. Why I couldn't figure out these things myself, is a mystery. Anywho, your help is greatly appreciated and I now understand how to really use Marvinsketch.

Thanks again, have a good day!

Best regards,

Kyrosu

ChemAxon 2c555f5717

15-10-2014 14:14:00

Dear Kyrosu,

I have talked with some of the chemists of ChemAxon, and they have advised me to tell you, that you can not create ionic bond now in MarvinSketch, so they would prefer to put a separate Na+ and Cl atoms to the canvas, and group them with the Merge Reactants option.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Regards:
Balázs