java 1.7055 Marvin Sketch Applet and IE 11

User 956e0ca334

01-05-2014 10:06:54

Hi there,

I have just complete an update to your latest version of Marvin view and Marvin Sketch on our websites (6.2.2).  I am finding when our users are using IE 11 marvin sketch does not appear, it shows:

the java plugin is lower than 1.6, indeed java 1.7 is installed.

It will only work if you add the site to Compatibity Settings.  This does not happen with the Marvin View Applet, which seem to work fine and does not have to have Compatiblity Settings added.

I can see exactly the same behaviour when viewing youe test page in IE11  http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/sketch/index.php 

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Many thanks

Megan

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

16-05-2014 14:32:20

Hi Megan,

first of all I am truly sorry about the late reply.

We were not able to reproduce the problem in any ways, so can you please assist us on the debugging of this issue, and send the result of the following command when it is executed in the developer console:

eval(checkJava());
eval(isJavaInstalled("1.6"));

You can execute this commands on the developer console. In IE11 please open a site where you have the issue with the Marvin applet, and press the F12 button, and then ctrl+2, in this way you have opened the console, and to the bottom part of it you can paste the commands, and in the lower left corner you can press the play button, and you will see the top part of the console window with the results of the commands.

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
Istvan 

User 249192efae

19-06-2014 17:09:03

I wanted to update to the latest Marvin, but found I also have an issue with IE11.

I can duplicate the problem. While on this forum page, I pressed F12 and opened up Dev Tools and opened the console. Then I clicked the link above to http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/sketch/index.php

The console had 7 warnings and 15 CSS cross-origin errors. Then I entered the commands. I couldn't figure out how to copy the log, so I took a screenshot - attached.

When I go to www.java.com to verify java in my IE11, it says I have the recommended 7_60, and that it also found an out of date 6_45 version (which I need for an older program).

User 249192efae

19-06-2014 17:19:15

Note that I'd had an issue with IE11 previously, and was able to update the marvin.js file to fix it - see http://www.chemaxon.com/forum/ftopic11514.html

That worked in 6.1.5, but the marvin.js is different in the latest version, and I see changes that appear to already take into account the MSIE or TRIDENT and the ActiveX changes we did last time. So I don't know what else is wrong.

ChemAxon 4fa3cf533c

20-06-2014 14:27:28

Hi there,

It seems, that the marvin.js check for java fails, this could happen if you either don't have java on your computer ( it is not the case here ) OR your java plugin is missing or it is not configured right. 

On IE11 please navigate to the "Manage Add-ons" dialog and look for Java plugins. If you have older plugins, eg. 1.5, please uninstall them and try again.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tamas Fazekas-Vigh

User 249192efae

20-06-2014 15:16:51

I don't see anything old in the add-ons. The toolkit is disabled - I'm not sure if that is relevant. Do you see anything that seems relevant? - Attached pics.

User 249192efae

20-06-2014 15:51:08

The 6_45 version isn't the problem. I've temporarily uninstalled it but still get the same console results (minus style warnings) - attached. So I need that Java 6_45 so I'll go re-install it now.

User 249192efae

20-06-2014 18:24:10

Using Bfunchess' solution from the other thread I linked above works for me - just stripping out the unnecessary check for ActiveXObject existing before trying to use it. The checks were failing, but trying to use it works fine, and if it doesn't, it is in a try/catch and the catch returns the same as the check would have.

User 249192efae

20-06-2014 19:39:28

Oh, it was the Deployment Toolkit. I enabled that, and the Marvin site's applets work in IE11.

Unfortunately, as ours is a public site, I can't have all users with IE11 go enable that, so we'll continue with the edited marvin.js file.

ChemAxon 4fa3cf533c

23-06-2014 11:21:02

I'm glad that you were able to solve this issue.

Can I ask you, what is the reason behind disabling the Deployment Toolkit? Disable it, and there's a good chance that the applet will fail to load. 

Regards,

Tamas Fazekas-Vigh

User 249192efae

23-06-2014 14:39:26

I don't remember intentionally disabling the deployment toolkit. I had temporarily disabled Java a year or so ago when the major Java security issues were headlines, before they were fixed, so maybe I just disabled the toolkit then too.