Marvin Space non functional on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

User 5c48d4e3b9

18-02-2014 11:07:31

I installed Marvin Beans on Ubuntu 13.10 and couldn't get Marvin Space to work. The Program opens but doesn't display any structure neither from within Marvin Space nor by opening a previously saved .mrv file.

I did find some internet traffic about the cause being Open JDK but I didn't observe any changes after installing the Oracle JDK.

Do I have to go back to 12.04? Do I have to go back to JDK 6 or is there another fix?

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

User 5c48d4e3b9

18-02-2014 21:11:28

meanwhile went back to ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Installed Marvin 6.2 and observed the same issue:

Marvin Space doesn't show any structure, neither when opened from within Marvin Sketch nor when opened independently and trying to open a saved file.

Java Version: openJDK-6

The funny thing: the same constellation (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, OpenJDK6, Marvin 6.2 works perfectly on an older laptop. The only difference: the new laptop has a 64bit version. To me it looks like the 64bit version is the problem.

Anybody out there who can help me?

ChemAxon eb65a25631

19-02-2014 09:45:46

Hi,

Does this help:

https://www.chemaxon.com/forum/ftopic10759.html

?

Regards,

Andras

User 5c48d4e3b9

19-02-2014 16:36:03

Well, I don't know,

I am not savvy enough to check this:

"In case of VMWare VM, enable 3D acceleration (Virtual Machine Settings/Hardware/Display/Accelerate 3D graphics). 'OpenGL2 Renderer' should  show 'Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D' (or something similar), when everything is OK"

and I don't know how to:

"add the follwing option to java arguments in the startup scripts: -Djogl.debug.GLJPanel -Djogl.verbose -Djogl.gljpanel.nohw -Djogl.gljpanel.noogl"

where in the startup scripts should I add this, i.e. what are the "java arguments"

I can follow a procedure but I don't know details about running java programs.

ChemAxon eb65a25631

20-02-2014 09:36:17

Ok, let me clarify it:

- Does the MarvinSpace About Dialog shows something like 'llvmpipe' in the line 'OpenGL2 Renderer'?

If yes, that might be the reason for the blank screen, it is an unsupported scenario...

...unless, you do the following:

- go to MarvinBeans installation dir (for me, it's: $HOME/Chemaxon/MarvinBeans)

- open /bin

- open the file 'mspace' in a text editor

- search for: javaopts=""

- replace it with: javaopts="-Djogl.debug.GLJPanel -Djogl.verbose -Djogl.gljpanel.nohw -Djogl.gljpanel.noogl"

- save

- run this 'mspace' file (double click, then choose 'Run in Terminal'

Regards,

Andras

ChemAxon eb65a25631

20-02-2014 10:50:18

Found another solution:

It seem this issue been fixed in the latest JOGL libraries.

You should unzip the attached zip to the chemaxon installation dir MarvinBeans/lib

and replace all the existing files.

With these new libraries, it worked for me, even with "llvmpipe" renderer.

I will add these libraries to the upcoming 6.3 release as well.

Regards,

Andras

User 5c48d4e3b9

20-02-2014 13:49:12

The line next to openGL2 Renderer says: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile

I followed your advice regarding the java opts, but the problem persists. Let me clarify the symptom once more: when I run the mspace file the program opens, I get a normal interface, can access the menues and so on, just the canvas where the 3D model of my molecule should be is black. When I open a .mrv or a .mol file nothing happens.

The solution you suggest in your last post, adding new JOGL libraries, works!

Thanks a lot for your efforts and input. Let me know if I can do anything else to support the community.

ChemAxon eb65a25631

20-02-2014 15:38:03

Yes, I meant exactly the same by 'blank screen' you described.

Thank you for the error-report.

Regards,

Andras