js_io.html (6.1.2) getMol Javascript error with IE8

User 249192efae

28-10-2013 19:53:51

Hi,

We're trying to upgrade our app to 6.1.2. But we're having a Javascript problem when using IE8.

I think you will be able to replicate it with http://www.chemaxon.com/marvin/examples/applets/sketch/js_io.html

(My server with IE8 can't properly access that site, but I can replicate the issue with on that example page in our app with the expanded marvin-all-6.1.2.zip.)

I opened IE8 Developer Tools and clicked Start Debugging. Then on the page, I clicked "Export".

The debugger shows:

Object doesn't support this property or method  js_io.html, line 140 character 3

and this is highlighted:

var s = document.MSketch.getMol(format);

My test IE8 is using Java 1.7.0_25. The users who reported the issue were using 1.7.0_45 and/or 1.7.0_40, so I'm hoping you can replicate the issue with the example.

When first opening the browser to the page, it also asked me to update Java. I clicked the "Later" button.

Thanks!

(Hopefully this isn't a duplicate post - I tried to post a couple times in IE10 but it evaporated. Trying now in Chrome)

ChemAxon 2c555f5717

05-11-2013 13:59:38

Dear Michael!

To avoid security holes in JRE Java checks through Internet if the current JRE is still a reliable Java version. Since Java 1.7.0_10 an expiration date was introduced to ensure that older versions can recognize if they are still valid without active internet connection. If a JRE is marked as expired it does not allow any JavaScript communication for the applets.

This expiration date for Java 1.7.0_25 is 2013.11.15 and for Java 1.7.0_40 is 2013.10.12 (when this version was released they knew that a new security update will come, that is why it is so short). 

However Java 1.7.0_25 still did not expire when it checks online, it finds that the new security baseline is Java 1.7.0_45 so it advises to update, otherwise it forbids the JavaScript-Java communication  You have 3 possible solution: 

1. Update to the new Java version (I recommend this.)

2. Downgrade to an older version (before Java 1.7.0_10 or Java 1.6.0_30) but I strictly do not recommend this

3. Change your Java security level on Java Control Panel to medium but I do not recommend this either

You can find more information about JRE expiration here.

Regards:
Balázs