desktop Marvin skin dialog

User 870ab5b546

24-09-2013 13:20:23

Every time I start up Marvin 6.1.0 on my desktop, it asks me what skin I want, even though I have checked the box next to "don't show this dialog on startup."  Annoying!

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

24-09-2013 18:39:59

Hi Bob,

can you please check that your marvin.properties file in the .chemaxon folder in your user home directory contains a property called "sketchStartupShown" and whether its value is false?

I can imagine one thing that could happen on your side, the MarvinSketch application did not exit, or it throws an exception on exit, and can not save the settings into marvin.properties file.

We will check this tomorrow on a Mac, and get back to you if we were able to reproduce this issue, we did not find this issue when we tested the release candidates on Mac systems.

In the mean time, you can set the property to false manually in the file, and after it has been set to false, it should not shown the dialog again, unless if you use an other, older version of Marvin in paralell, in this case, the older version may overwrite the file and delete this value.

An other idea that pops into my mind is that, you are using some ancient version of applet that overwrites this file, and removes this property. Is it possible?

Regards,
Istvan 

User 870ab5b546

24-09-2013 18:44:43

The contents of marvin.properties read:

#Marvin parameters
#Tue Sep 24 12:06:05 EDT 2013
atomPropertiesVisible=false
skin=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel 

I do still use Marvin 5.4 applet in my browser, but not on my desktop.

ChemAxon 5433b8e56b

25-09-2013 11:19:31

Hi Bob,

unfortunatelly, then that 5.4 applet is causing the issue.

In 5.9.0 we removed the saving of the properties from the applet teardown process, applet versions before 5.9.0 are saving the applet settings into the marvin.properties file, and override the property values there (actualy overwrite the file with the current properties).

After 5.9.0 we had requests to store the applet properties somewhere, so we decided to save the applet properties from 6.2.0 version it will be part of the applet teardown again, but in 6.2 version the applet will store the properties in a file that specific to the applet domain.

So unfortunatelly we can not do much about this thing, the 5.4 applet you use will override the local settings, and if this property is not present in the marvin.properties file, the new 6.1 sketcher will offer to select a layout for Marvin (actually 6.0 and above versions). This dialog was introduced, because in 6.0 we have reorganized the menus, and the layout of the sketcher to be a bit more straitforward and handy to use. We did not want to force our users to use the new layout, but we wanted to highlight that Marvin has several predefined configuration, and this way seemed to be the best way to do so.

Regards,
Istvan 

User 870ab5b546

25-09-2013 13:43:11

OK, I will live with it for now.