quick-keys in Safari

User 870ab5b546

23-06-2004 19:46:17

In Marvin 3.4pre6 within Safari 1.2.2, the quick-key commands (COMMAND-whatever) for various Marvin functions don't work. They are always interpreted as Safari commands. For example, COMMAND-F brings up the Safari Find window, rather than bringing up the Select conformer function within Marvin.

Is there a way to make the quick-key commands work for Marvin? If not, is this a Safari-specific problem? If not, why include the quick-key commands at all in the applet menus?

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

24-06-2004 16:37:46

It is not a Safari specific problem. It exists in other OS X browsers. However, the hotkeys work in the MarvinSketch application or any application created using Marvin Beans. It is possible that Apple will sooner or later fix this bug for Safari.

Under other operating systems, Marvin hotkeys work both in applets and applications (Ctrl-whatever is implemented instead of COMMAND-whatever in Windows and Unix). The symbol of the Ctrl key displayed in the menus is "^" (like ^F).

We are considering the following solutions:

1. Exclude hotkey commands from the applets under OS X.

2. Under OS X, define hotkeys as CTRL+whatever in Marvin applets (like in other OS-s) and use COMMAND+whatever in Marvin Beans applications.

3. Use CTRL for hotkeys both in Marvin applets and Marvin applications under OS X.

Which solution would Mac users prefer in your opinion? We are open to any idea. (Please also consider that many people use Marvin Beans under Mac.)

User 870ab5b546

24-06-2004 16:51:51

Tamas wrote:
We are considering the following solutions:

1. Exclude hotkey commands from the applets under OS X.

2. Under OS X, define hotkeys as CTRL+whatever in Marvin applets (like in other OS-s) and use COMMAND+whatever in Marvin Beans applications.

3. Use CTRL for hotkeys both in Marvin applets and Marvin applications under OS X.

Which solution would Mac users prefer in your opinion? We are open to any idea. (Please also consider that many people use Marvin Beans under Mac.)
My totally uninformed opinion is that it's better to use the same hotkey codes in the applets and the applications. Otherwise, people who go back and forth between the two would be confused. So I would say option 3 is best. 'Twouldn't be the first time that we OS X users had to use CTRL instead of COMMAND, even though it feels unnatural to us.

User ef5e605ae6

24-06-2004 18:30:23

Option 3 might be good for people who use both the applet and the application. But people who only use the application will be confused if hot keys like Command-C, that work in most programs including the previous marvin version, wiil not work in the next. For application users, option 1 might be much better.

User ef5e605ae6

25-06-2004 06:44:46

I found a way to make both shortcuts work at the same time. Command will be the primary but Ctrl will also work.

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

25-06-2004 15:35:25

We have just implemented that shortcuts are set to work as both COMMAND-whatever and Ctrl-whatever quick-keys under Mac. However, as we have discussed the COMMAND shortcuts are stolen by the web browsers in the case of the applets. Menu options display the COMMAND symbol (see image) both in applets and applications.

Is this acceptable?

User 870ab5b546

25-06-2004 17:11:35

Ferenc wrote:
We have just implemented that shortcuts are set to work as both COMMAND-whatever and Ctrl-whatever quick-keys under Mac. However, as we have discussed the COMMAND shortcuts are stolen by the web browsers in the case of the applets. Menu options display the COMMAND symbol (see image) both in applets and applications.

Is this acceptable?
Well, I would say it's confusing to show quick-key commands that don't work and not to show the ones that do. How is a Mac user supposed to figure out that the CTRL keys will work if the menu shows the COMMAND keys?

User ef5e605ae6

28-06-2004 08:19:03

I'm sure they would guess it. The help only mentions the Ctrl key. Nevertheless, I swapped the primary and the secondary shortcut masks for applets, so the menu will show "^" characters on Mac.