3D -> 2D perspective

User 870ab5b546

23-06-2004 19:42:02

It would be VERY nice to turn a structure in the 3D viewer, choose a certain perspective on it, and then transfer that perspective of that structure into the 2D viewer. For example, if I draw cyclohexane, add the H atoms, and minimize to the chair, the perspective that I see makes it hard to see all the H atoms. Even if I go to the 3D viewer and rotate the structure in space, and even if I choose Edit -> Clean 3D -> Select conformer, rotate a conformer in space, and select it, the structure that is imported back into MarvinSketch doesn't have the perspective I have chosen.

Seems to me this shouldn't be too hard to program. You just have to take the current xyz coordinates in the 3D viewer when transferring a structure back to the 2D viewer.

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

24-06-2004 13:22:06

I have solved this problem.

The rotated molecule is placed from the "Select conformers" window into the sketcher.

This feature will be available in the next Marvin release.

User 870ab5b546

24-06-2004 16:56:42

Tamas wrote:
I have solved this problem.

The rotated molecule is placed from the "Select conformers" window into the sketcher.

This feature will be available in the next Marvin release.
That's a big improvement. But suppose I don't want to generate a lot of conformers, or I already have the conformer I want. Why not just project the perspective from the 3D viewer into the 2D viewer when the 3D viewer is closed, or provide a "Project into 2D" menu option, instead of requiring the user to open yet another window (the Select conformer window) and choose from the myriad of structures?

ChemAxon 7c2d26e5cf

25-06-2004 15:47:56

bobgr wrote:

Why not just project the perspective from the 3D viewer into the 2D viewer when the 3D viewer is closed, or provide a "Project into 2D" menu option, instead of requiring the user to open yet another window (the Select conformer window) and choose from the myriad of structures?
We have added your suggestion to the Marvin's feature request list.

User 870ab5b546

03-07-2004 22:37:07

Tamas wrote:
bobgr wrote:

Why not just project the perspective from the 3D viewer into the 2D viewer when the 3D viewer is closed, or provide a "Project into 2D" menu option, instead of requiring the user to open yet another window (the Select conformer window) and choose from the myriad of structures?
We have added your suggestion to the Marvin's feature request list.
I see now that the "Select conformer" option can be chosen directly from the MarvinSketch window, and the chosen perspective is imported directly back into it. Very nice! So my suggestion has less urgency. But I still think it's not so intuitive to ask a user to choose a conformer when they just want to view a molecule in a particular perspective.

ChemAxon 43e6884a7a

04-11-2004 14:04:53

Good news: Rotate in 3D option is being added to MarvinSketch.

User 870ab5b546

04-11-2004 16:00:07

Ferenc wrote:
Good news: Rotate in 3D option is being added to MarvinSketch.
Good! In which version will it appear?