Usability problem with auto generated +signs, CH3 and arrows

User 25a3bff0c7

28-05-2013 07:01:03

MarvinSketch 6.0.0

I am a long time ChemDraw user and I thought I would give MarvinSketch a go. 

When I started my first structure the automatically generated + signs and arrow seemed nifty, but it wasn't long before it became a very annoying part of the sofware when you want to do more than make one reaction on a page. I presume that this is part of the software keeping track of what it thinks the reaction is, but suspect that 98% of the time people just want to draw their structures and they don't care whether the software 'understands' what they are doing.

The work around for the arrows using a graphical reaction arrow works, but seems strange to need a work around for this. Also, every time I add a component to a reaction scheme extraneous +signs pop-up. I've found that I can 'merge products' to remove them, but this command doesn't always come up in the structure edit menu. So, often I 'merge products' in one section and then a +sign pops up somewhere else and if I try to select a large area I can't merge products because the command isn't available. Is there a way to turn this off?

Also, can you remove the automatically generated CH3 lables? It is common practice not to add such lables to structures and I would like the option to remove them.

If this is just how MarvinSketch works then I suppose I will have go back to ChemDraw or find another option, but I hope there are real fixes to these problems that I am missing somehow because otherwise the software seems good.

Cheers,

Tom

ChemAxon f052bdfe3c

28-05-2013 08:06:48

Hi Tom,

Thank you to try out MSketch and thank you for your feedback.

CH3  (implicit hydrogen visibility): you can find an option under the "View">"Implicit Hydrogen" where you can set "Off" among the other options.

If you have reaction mechanisms, I suggest using only the graphical arrows that way the plus signs will not appear, however, you have to add them as text (from the textbox)

Best Regards,

Efi

User 25a3bff0c7

28-05-2013 08:27:06

Hi Efi,

These suggestions have all worked, thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Tom

ChemAxon f052bdfe3c

28-05-2013 12:29:35

You are welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if any further questions arise.

Cheers,

Efi